Computer HELP: Corrupted USB external drive

Ok problem, wondering if anyone could help!

I have a USB external hard drive that hasn’t worked in a while and I decided to plug in and mess around with again. It has lots of personal photos as well as other personal items I would love to have back.

When I plug it in it shows up under My Computer, When I click on the drive I get the following message:

L:\ is not accessible.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I have tried a few things but nothing worked. Any ideas or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again guys!

if files are corrupted the only thing you can do is reformat it, sadly this will delete everything on the HD

you don't have to reformat. there's always professional recovery (expensive) and there are some software that can bypass that and recover files from the hard drive. you could probably even run chkdsk on it and maybe it would fix the directory structure if that is what the problem is. it doesn't necessarily mean that all files are corrupted.

okay this was the first result from googling "data recovery software"

but it looks like you can demo it to see which files you could recover and whatnot (that's the extent of the demo, if you want to recover the files you'd have to pay):

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-downloads.htm

you'd probably need the ntfs one

i think i may have had a similar problem to yours a few years back and i used some data recovery software to get everything back out.. i don't know if you should go w/ that program cuz there might be freer stuff out there, but i think if you use that you could at least see if it could read your hard drive and recover stuff