New SH:Snodgrass/Branan,Whitmore/Lowry,Lucas/Taker

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

With our many vinyl delays as of late, I have been reluctant to announce some of the exciting things we have been working on. But not being able to share this news is like winning the Powerball jackpot and being asked not to tell a soul for 3 weeks. It tears at you and before you know it, you lose your mind screaming the news at the top of your lungs. Since I lose my mind on a daily basis, I figured enough time has elapsed for me to share with you our upcoming releases:

[image]

JON SNODGRASS / CORY BRANAN split 12"/cassette/digital

Jon and Cory have been friends for years and have talked for a while now at putting out a release together. Before the release of Jon's absolutely fantastic debut album, Visitor's Band, Jon and Cory spent some time in Colorado recording the songs that would become this split. The recording found the guys doing 7 songs total (5 originals and 2 covers). Jon contributes 2 originals that could have fit nicely on his latest album as well as a nice 2 song cover medley (of Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy). Cory contributes 3 originals (2 which should remain exclusive to this release including one of his most requested live songs, Walk Around). Having just seen Cory and Jon play a show together the other night, I got even more excited for this release which should be released by the time Jon, Cory, and Joey Cape do a tour of the South. You all know we celebrate Jon Snodgrass' entire catalog, but if you are not hip to Cory Branan, you are in for a special treat. We would do really bad things to find a way to sign Cory to Suburban Home, but it looks like his next album will be released on a much bigger label. Pressing will be out of an edition of 1,000 copies (500 on sun colored vinyl, 500 on moon colored vinyl). The vinyl and the cassette will come with a digital download coupon. Why a cassette? We had decided not to do a CD and Jon thought it would be great to advertise, "Available on LP and Cassette".

[image]

WAYWORD SONS(William Elliott Whitmore) / SAM LOWRY "Julianne" 7"/digital

William Elliott Whitmore, as far as I'm concerned, is the voice of Americana. He writes the best songs, his performances are above and beyond that of his contemporaries, and his message is fucking right on. Some time back, Will had sent me a postcard from the road saying that he dug our little label and that he would love to put a 7" out with us. I pretty much flipped out. It is one thing to think that you are putting out some of the best records of your history, but it is another to hear from someone you admire that they agree. When I got Will on the phone, he told me that he was starting a new project called the Wayword Sons that would allow him to do things a little differently than what might be expected of him. He said that he was nearly done recording a song and that he wanted to do a split 7" with his friend, Sam Lowry. Sam Lowry reminds me of a young Nick Cave and chances are you might have seen him recently on tour with Murder City Devils. Sam explains the idea behind the 7", "In the fall of 2006, Will and I were on tour with Lucero and Rocky Votolato. Having been friends for a few years and both rolling solo, we decided to ride together and it was over the course of a couple of all day drives that we came up with the idea to do a split 7", and to do one that was more than just one song by each of us. I think we both gravitated towards doing a murder ballad pretty quickly once we decided to try and make the two sides link up in some way. Once we decided on a murder ballad, we quickly came up with the idea that it would be a love triangle with it unclear which one of us murdered her. I think it was a few days later, we thought of having the chorus of each song be the same, tied around the woman's name. The name Julianne worked for both of us on a personal level and it's a good name to sing. The 7" features two sides of a love triangle/murder ballad. Sam's song is from the viewpoint of the husband who is being hung for the murder of his wife, Will's(Wayword Sons) side is from the viewpoint of the lover who is on the run thinking that he's been blamed for it."

If you ask me, I can't think of a better idea for a split 7". The 7" will be pressed initially out of an edition of 500 copies (on blood red vinyl). The 7" will come with a download coupon.

[image]

AUSTIN LUCAS w/ THE TAKERS 7"/digital

I absolutely love where we are at with the label these days. We have what I consider to be some of the greatest new voices in Americana and our artists not only tour together, but in the case of the Austin Lucas with the Takers 7", they also record together. Soon after Austin finished recording his modern day masterpiece, "Somebody Loves You", he flew down to Florida to see family, play a few shows, and hang out with friends. During these days, he hooked up with Suburban Home's newest band, the Takers, to record 4 songs at Crescendo Studios (the same session Austin recorded his Under the Influence track, "To Daddy"). The Takers, for those of you who don't know, are Suburban Home's Outlaw Country band. The Takers call Gainesville, Florida home, have members of Whiskey and Co, and after having put out an incredible debut 7", have recently finished recording their debut album for us. The 4 song 7" finds Austin performing on the Takers' tracks and the Takers performing on Austin's tracks and the session might fool you into thinking that the guys have been playing together for years. There are 2 covers and 2 originals.

The 7" will be initially pressed out of an edition of 500 copies on Frosty Blue vinyl. Mp3 Download coupon will be included.

[image]

THE TAKERS "Taker Easy" LP/CD/Digital

The Takers might be the most Country of all of our bands (whatever that means), but don't let that designation scare you. Devon from the Takers writes great songs and when it all comes down to it, that should be all that matters. Their sound is straight out of the 70's Outlaw Country scene that Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Hank Williams Jr all helped forge. And if you really think about it, there are not a lot of bands doing this now. If you have the misguided notion to tune into commercial Country pretty much all you get is cheesy pop music. The Takers sound is influnced by the legends of Honky Tonk and the Outlaw Movement with lyrics inspired by the struggles of life and the curse of the bottle. Recorded at Crescendo Sound studios by Derron Nuhfer and Addison Burns, the ablum sounds like it was recorded 30 years ago. The album will become the soundtrack for your summer as it will provide the perfect theme music for late drunken nights and the long mornings after. We recommend you drink PBR and Jack Daniels when listening to this album.

All of the above releases are currently in production, we will announce the Pre-order on Tuesday, May 19th. We will expect to receive all of these releases in by the end of June, early July. We also recommend that you consider picking up all 4 releases because I think that if you are a fan of one of these artists, you will love all the releases we are about to put out.

Guest Admin
The Snodgrass/Branan split has amazing cover art.

This. It totally reminds me of this.

[image]

I agree, but know that this was all in Jon snodgrass' brain and ralph just translated his ideas. Jon is one crazy dude.