Private Press records

So what do people think about these? Do people collect them just because they are private press and so rare? In 12 years of collecting vinyl I have only received 1 private press record and that was this year. Its a Mike Bones live 12" from the Social Registry, part of me wants to keep it and part of me says sell that shit and make a buck...

Thoughts on private pressings?

I find it hard to believe in 12 years of record collecting you have a single privately pressed record.

Definition from wikipedia: "Private Press is a term used in the field of book collecting to describe a printing press operated as an artistic or craft-based endeavor, rather than as a purely commercial venture. The term is also used in the record collecting field to describe records released in small runs by individuals, as opposed to records released by record labels."

Most early punk records were "private press" records. Anyone can make a record. I'm sure everyone on this board has been in a band, or known a band, that pressed their own records. It's not exceedingly rare to find a "private press" record, nor is necessarily more valuable because of it.

On eBay, a lot of people put "private press" in their titles to describe KBD type records. Whether or not people are searching that term, I wouldn't known. I would assume that most record collectors are not.

I stumbled upon a sweet message board for people with record lathes once, and people had some sick home-cut records. Lots of cut Laserdiscs, crazy Plexiglass shapes, I think I saw a Frisbee maybe, cool stuff. Of course, I didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it.

Found it!

The Secret Society of Lathe Trolls

Not a terribly active site, but there are some cool projects:

Laserdiscs, CDs, and offset Plexiglass

folders

I stumbled upon a sweet message board for people with record lathes once, and people had some sick home-cut records. Lots of cut Laserdiscs, crazy Plexiglass shapes, I think I saw a Frisbee maybe, cool stuff. Of course, I didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it.

Found it!

The Secret Society of Lathe Trolls

Not a terribly active site, but there are some cool projects:

Laserdiscs, CDs, and offset Plexiglass

folders

This reminds me of that Le Shok 7" cover that had a song cut into the cardboard. So awesome.

I find it hard to believe in 12 years of record collecting you have a single privately pressed record.

Definition from wikipedia: "Private Press is a term used in the field of book collecting to describe a printing press operated as an artistic or craft-based endeavor, rather than as a purely commercial venture. The term is also used in the record collecting field to describe records released in small runs by individuals, as opposed to records released by record labels."

Most early punk records were "private press" records. Anyone can make a record. I'm sure everyone on this board has been in a band, or known a band, that pressed their own records. It's not exceedingly rare to find a "private press" record, nor is necessarily more valuable because of it.

On eBay, a lot of people put "private press" in their titles to describe KBD type records. Whether or not people are searching that term, I wouldn't known. I would assume that most record collectors are not.

If I go by that definition then I got a ton. I guess I was just wondering about not for sale to the public pressings. Thats kinda what I always thought a private press was.

If I go by that definition then I got a ton. I guess I was just wondering about not for sale to the public pressings. Thats kinda what I always thought a private press was.

I'm interested. What are records that are not for sale to the public? Like test presses? Like friend presses? Like "singles of the month" club presses? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Technically any record released by a band would be considered Private Press and some would consider labels like Dischord to be Private Press, but mostly on eBay and serious record collecting sites Private Press denotes very rare and obscure records that are pretty much unknown (for better or for worse) from the wider world.

Lots of times they are highly collectible records, like KBD stuff and like KBD, not all of them are valuable because the music is actually worth hearing, but are valuable due to the rarity of the record.

Records that are considered private press would have been available to the public but would either be incredibly hard to track down or once they were gone, they were simply gone.

You can argue that bootlegs are private presses as well, but that's mostly only because you can get away with saying "private press" "mail order edition" "fan club edition" and you can't get away with saying "bootleg".

This reminds me of that Le Shok 7" cover that had a song cut into the cardboard. So awesome.

Actually, the Le Shok record wasn't done that way. Instead it was a flexi that was glued onto the cover. Neat idea but it ended up being a complete disaster because the cover pops up and makes needle skip a ridiculous amount.