Band/Label dudes: Do you need art?

hi board! i havn' t been on here in a bit, planning the wedding/burning of the swine/moving/watching loki take his last class before graduating/having my ex-boss die/and getting a flat tire all int he same 2 months, but jumping on here and seeing this shit is great!!

i would love love love to do some commission work for some bands i believe in(and others too, it's called a paycheck. -10 punkrocks points for me's). im not locked into any style by any means, but i think by looking at some of my work you might get an idea of what you will end up with. i think im going to ask loki to help me put together a quick form with questions that i can send to anyone interested and that way it's a little more organized. i'll be doing my best to bust my ass and make whatever is requested of me, but either way, expect a little more expediency on my end after june 27th( <3 )

thank you everybody! :)

-emily

…usually I think most art is pretentious bullshit.

Are you serious Kyle? I mean, that's a pretty broad statement…

What I mean is a lot of stuff I see just seems really contrived and forced. I live in a town with a huge artsy fartsy hipster crowd and it's all self-serving crap and there's nothing really unique about it. These people just comb their cool haircuts just right, ride their fixies over to the local coffee shop and then pat eachother on the backs about how awesome they are. I certainly don't hate art, I've just grown to get really annoyed by a lot of stuff.

Make sense? Probably not. Just ignore me, I'm ranting.

Are you serious Kyle? I mean, that's a pretty broad statement…

What I mean is a lot of stuff I see just seems really contrived and forced. I live in a town with a huge artsy fartsy hipster crowd and it's all self-serving crap and there's nothing really unique about it. These people just comb their cool haircuts just right, ride their fixies over to the local coffee shop and then pat eachother on the backs about how awesome they are. I certainly don't hate art, I've just grown to get really annoyed by a lot of stuff.

Make sense? Probably not. Just ignore me, I'm ranting.

The context of your rant makes sense, but it sounds like your annoyance has nothing to do with art and more to do with a specific clique in your locale. I understand that rant though - certain scenes (and the accompanying scenesters) in Philly match your description. However in all honesty (and being an artist myself), I assure you that they make up a small percentage of art makers.

a lot of modern art, well, decent and purposeful modern art is made in reaction to the art market. thats the stuff you see in museums. im talking about the blank canvasses or the splatters that make no sense. i'm only talking about paintings and such. i give films and photography and stuff more lenience.

so, kyle, i know what you mean but you shouldn't let you experiences with art in the past 15-20 years or so deter you from appreciating art from throughout history.