HELP-Cinder block/wood shelves?

I guess I could have posted this on the storage thread, but its kinda crazy so, anyway...I'm at the point where I need to upgrade my storage space for my records. Its crates, and one small shelf right now. I'd like to get an expedit, but i only have around 200-ish LPs and around 30 7 inches. So I was thinking about just using the cinder blocks/wood board set up. But I dont know exactly how sturdy this would be. Does'nt sound to promising, but I dunno. Anyone use this method of storage? Any suggestions?

Guest kevinb

My suggestion ? get the expedit

you won't have to worry about room for along time, and I think it would protect you're investment a bit better.

Cinder blocks and wood have been around as long as there have been starving college students. It is sturdy and practical, albeit at the expense of beauty. If you can't afford/don't want to pay for an Expedit, then go the cinder block and wood route without fear that it will collapse, as long as the boards you use are thick enough (3/4" should be more than enough).

i've got my records on blocks and wood. you'll need about one block for every 1 and 3/4ths feet of board you've got. Once up the records will weigh it down, but if you've got a cat you might want to secure the top shelf to a wall and put some heavy books on top of it. You can do this really easily. Get two screw wall hooks and some wire. Screw one into the wall and one into the top shelf. Wrap wire from wall hook to shelf hook. Here are some pictures. Excuse the mess we're still unpacking from a move.

[image]

[image]