turntable advice please

So not to long ago I was about to buy a new phono cartridge, but it never panned out because i was told you need to know how to align them. So my first question is how hard is it to align them, and do you really need to buy separate tools to do so.

also on a somewhat different note, how do you know when a new needle is needed. I saw an article saying that if you wait till its warn out you have most likely already damaged your records, so now I have become rather paranoid.

I appreciate any help. I am good with modern technology, but I seem to be having a hard time grasping how my turntable works.

i have the debut III with the Ortofon OM 5E cartridge on there I believe. The guy at needle doctor which is where i got the turntable recommended the ortofon 20 stylus. Anyone have any insight into knowing when a needle change is needed?

There are tons of variables concerning when you should change. How often you use the needle, do you have an automatic arm, do you cover it between uses, are your records clean, etc. I'd offer two pieces of advice:

1. Buy a new stylus (you'll need one eventually, even if not right now) and visually compare it to your current one. I just replaced mine last week and when comparing the two, you could really tell the difference, my old one was beat to shit.

2. If your records are clean and seem to be sounding like shit, replace the stylus/cartridge.

You'll find that the longer you listen to records, you'll notice the difference as the stylus gets older and you'll know when to replace it by ear.

thanks. I'm curious to go check out the store dreamover recommended as well. i would say as a whole my records don't sound bad, minus a few, but i think that is more companies trying to save money by using cheaper means of pressing them.. Im looking at you victory records on my thursday record with lots of background noise. I buy most of my records new and as I know i should still clean them it is better than the ones at used stores that have a layer of dust.

I installed my new stylus last night. Holy shit. There was a huge difference. I bought the turntable (Pro-ject Xpression) about 7 months ago. It was listed as an in-store display model, so never used. It never sounded quite right. I didn't now if it was my pre-amp, the receiver, the wiring. It was always the stylus apparently. Even comparing the two, the original looked like it was hit with a hammer. I'm pissed I didn't get one earlier, thinking back to all the damage I may have done.