What's It Worth?

I used to post on another board (R.I.P.) and there was a thread that you could post a record you wanted to know the value of and every know-it-all could look and tell you how much they saw it sell for last week,month,or year ago. If this is a good idea, keep it going. If not, oh well!

I myself want to know what AVAIL - Live At The Kings Head Inn 10" on colored vinyl goes for.

Anyone?

I really don't want to perpetuate people asking idiotic prices for records. That thread (RIP) was based solely on eBay prices. People would post what they wanted to get rid of, get an estimate from the board and ask that price. If they couldn't get that price (which was usually an average of recent ebay prices) they'd take it to ebay. If you want ebay money, take it to ebay. The only value of a thread like this is to see how much you can get for a record you're going to sell. If you're not getting rid of a record, the dollar value is immaterial.

Knowing the values of your assets is always material whether you plan on selling them or not.

This. Also, I'd like to see this thread actually relate to its original intent rather than devolve into an argument about completely subjective outlooks. I can think of several instances where I wanted to know the value of a record but was unable to find it on popsike or similar sites. It could also come in handy for folks that are looking to buy records but don't know if their finds are really as good as they imagine.

If you're not getting rid of a record, the dollar value is immaterial.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more and it tarnished an otherwise solid response.

Knowing the values of your assets is always material whether you plan on selling them or not.

If you consider records assets you're buying them for the wrong reason...and that's just my opinion, and I will stand by it.

This. Also, I'd like to see this thread actually relate to its original intent rather than devolve into an argument about completely subjective outlooks. I can think of several instances where I wanted to know the value of a record but was unable to find it on popsike or similar sites. It could also come in handy for folks that are looking to buy records but don't know if their finds are really as good as they imagine.

Agreed that it is a useful buying tool. But threads like these (and I was an active participant in the one Mot referenced) always end up just referencing eBay prices, which are often misleading.

Also, if it's anything like the old thread, people will start a sale thread and then immediately come here and ask how much the records are worth so they can get an idea of how much they can charge people.

I think this thread is a good idea in theory. In practice it will just conitnue the trend of people paying or demanding more for records that aren't as valuable as eBay dictates.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a subjective argument. If people find value in a thread like this, have at it. Should add, however, that the "value" of a record means nothing if your collection isn't appraised. If people are viewing records as assets, you better get your collection appraised and get an insurance policy on it, or else you'll get the price each one cost new if something ever happens to your collection. Insurance adjustors do not consider ebay prices or prices from other places to be true value.

Agreed that it is a useful buying tool. But threads like these (and I was an active participant in the one Mot referenced) always end up just referencing eBay prices, which are often misleading.

Also, if it's anything like the old thread, people will start a sale thread and then immediately come here and ask how much the records are worth so they can get an idea of how much they can charge people.

I think this thread is a good idea in theory. In practice it will just conitnue the trend of people paying or demanding more for records that aren't as valuable as eBay dictates.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a subjective argument. If people find value in a thread like this, have at it. Should add, however, that the "value" of a record means nothing if your collection isn't appraised. If people are viewing records as assets, you better get your collection appraised and get an insurance policy on it, or else you'll get the price each one cost new if something ever happens to your collection. Insurance adjustors do not consider ebay prices or prices from other places to be true value.

I agree with all of this. I did not wish to start a war. I was just pointing out that knowing what your items are worth is useful both for buying and potential selling.

And my records aren't "assets" specifically. But they do have value and knowing this value is of use.

Hickey, you hit it for me - the only "real" reason I've looked into appraisal for my collection was for homeowner's insurance. That being said, I occasionally look specific titles up on Popsike for my own personal amusement (and to brag/defend my collecting records to people who don't get it… or my dad). Mostly my dad.

Hmmm.......Front Porch on red?

I hope you didn't buy it before they pulled it off the shelf for my mailorder.......

$17?

Thats the one. But in all fairness, I did Buy it Saturday night online and picked it up this morning. Did you buy up the rest of the rarer ones they had? He was pulling Avail stuff out left and right while I was there. Hmmm...Did you get my Kings Inn?

seriously though...this thread does not need to exist...go to popsike if you want to know how much records are "worth".

Agreed.

That's why popsike exists and even looking up completed eBay auctions.

Whenever someone comes in asking what a record may be worth, it gives ME the impression that the person is only in it for the money and possibility of flipping it (if they own the record). Now, if they're asking its value b/c maybe they're in the process of acquiring a particular record, it may be another story.

But I still agree that no reason for this thread to exist. There are plenty of resources out there.