Do Record Labels Still Matter?

Deep Elm used to be a staple for me. As was Jade Tree, Crank!, Polyvinyl, Lovitt, that lot.

Deep Elm just fucking blows lately. Waiting for Emo Diaries Chapter 22: We're Fresh Out Of Relevance, So We're Just Gonna Milk It to come out to put them out of their misery once and for all.

Some good skramz you got in your ears, there, Sammy. Neil Perry fucking slay it. Sinaloa are rad. Saetia are god like.

+1

I'm interning/soon to be paid by an indie label, and I would say, yes, they do very much matter. We have two bands on our label that are constantly getting calls from the majors to sign, but they have been dicked over enough by shitty managers/labels/agencies/promoters that they are not in the mood to have that happen. We treat our bands very well and they return the favor by putting out great music and being very dedicated to the process in which we are building up on. It's a slow moving train that is picking up speed, but it is picking up. I, for one, am grateful that I can be apart of a label that I really am excited about the release schedule we have coming up and to be able to give my aid and input in over the future. And the bands love us and everything we do for them.

So, if a label treats a band with respect and takes care of them and doesn't treat them like money printing presses, then yes, I do say they still matter.

Think of someone just diving into music today like we all used to, labels from a discovery stand point wouldn't mean a thing.

Yes, bands need labels for the intangibles, but do we need them as a crutch to finding new music?

Not anymore, no. Last.fm does a good job of it. As does any RIYL or name dropping in a record review.

Think of someone just diving into music today like we all used to, labels from a discovery stand point wouldn't mean a thing.

Yes, bands need labels for the intangibles, but do we need them as a crutch to finding new music?

Are labels anymore or less of a crutch than digging around the internet, reading reviews and RIYL, or digging through like-minded Last.fm users? Just different, albeit more effective, ways to skin a cat. Or dog if you're...nevermind.

One viewpoint, I'll no longer buy an album just because of the label on the back. Thanks to the Internet I can listen to it immediately and usually in its entirely before purchasing it. In the past it was like "Oh, Fat? Sweet, here's $15!"

But in defence of the "good old days" I miss that certain element of uncertainty in making a purchase and the subsequent joy it can bring.

I had never heard American Football and bought it on a whim simply because it was on Polyvinyl and I was digging their stuff at the time. What I got was one of my most celebrated albums of all time.

I don't think I can experience that again given all of the information and such available to me now.

One viewpoint, I'll no longer buy an album just because of the label on the back. Thanks to the Internet I can listen to it immediately and usually in its entirely before purchasing it. In the past it was like "Oh, Fat? Sweet, here's $15!"

But in defence of the "good old days" I miss that certain element of uncertainty in making a purchase and the subsequent joy it can bring.

I had never heard American Football and bought it on a whim simply because it was on Polyvinyl and I was digging their stuff at the time. What I got was one of my most celebrated albums of all time.

I don't think I can experience that again given all of the information and such available to me now.

Not only that, but show me ONE person on this board who hasn't sold cd's/records when they were strapped for cash and I'll color me surprised. Usually, with records like that, they get recycled to a kid going through the used bins who is looking for that logo because he bought a nofx album and wants something like it. Sure, he may not love it either, but it's a new album for him and at least it will have some backing.

I thought about this a little more.

I guess I do still rely on record labels a little, but more in a negative sense.

Example -- Secretly Canadian. I have not enjoyed a single note of any piece of music any artist on this label has ever created. As such, I tend to steer clear of anything they release or any new signings. And to be honest, Suburban Home falls into this category as well. With the exception of the Look Mexico signing and upcoming release (so stoked) nothing on the label interests me in the least. Not hating or disrespecting, just being honest.

So yes, I do use labels to aid in musical guidance, but not in the same way I used to. But that's mainly because my tastes are more clearly defined than they used to be.

Tough question, Kirb.

It's interesting, I've come less to associate bands music with a label and more their image. For example, most bands on Asian Man are those super down to earth (quasi quircky) bands that do a lot of DIY stuff, BTMI! O' Pioneers!!!, Shinobu. Bands on no idea tend to be those kind of scruffy beard punk drunks, OWTH, Dear Landlord, wiskey and Co. A lot of Fat bands tend to be a little bit older, hipper bands with a slightly jaded look (not bad mind you) Dead to Me, None More Black, The Lawrence Arms. I dunno, it's more simplistic than it really is but it's just a thought

As for labels and their role with music. I feel there's always going to be people who love music and who will want to help get it out there, with and for artists. Those people will always be involved with music and I hope they can manage to at least not lose money doing it. However, putting out an album and making millions seems to be slimming out.