jazz

Start off with Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue." It's a pretty middle-of-the-road record in terms of jazz style, but is one of the cornerstones of the whole genre. Duke Ellington's "The Far East Suite" is great, too.

If you want some more progressive shit, get John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and Ornette Coleman's "Free Jazz." That shit will blow your mind, most likely. It did to me when I first heard it.

Also, if anyone's looking for a good dim-the-lights-and-get-it-on jazz album, look no further than this:

[image]

Coltrane is brilliant as usual, and Johnny Hartman has an absolutely gorgeous baritone voice that's been overlooked by most for decades. Seriously, this record is off-the-charts in terms of mood-setting.

one of my jazz favourites is buddy rich. he's probably the greatest drummer that ever lived, and his 12 minute version of the bbc's "channel one suite" is hands down my favourite recording of all time. it's got incredible solos, several of which are mr rich's, and all of them are guaranteed to melt your damn face.

one of my jazz favourites is buddy rich. he's probably the greatest drummer that ever lived, and his 12 minute version of the bbc's "channel one suite" is hands down my favourite recording of all time. it's got incredible solos, several of which are mr rich's, and all of them are guaranteed to melt your damn face.

Now you're talking!

We played "The Channel One Suite" in my high school's jazz band and I was the drummer. Imagine how fucking stoked I was.

I really, really miss playing in jazz band. I did it all through college, too, and I loved every second of it.

jazz bands are the only cool high school bands. mine played the themes from "shaft" and "hawaii five-o" my senior year. so much fun.

I remember we played "The Impression That I Get" and "You And Me And The Bottle Makes Three" (by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy) -- not to mention a sick KC And The Sunshine Band medley. Our director was always pretty good at picking fun, sort of relevant music.

• 5 years later...

Been on a jazz kick lately. Anything by sonny rollins/lee Morgan/art blakely. Love how most reissues, at least on blue note records, can be had for less than 10 bucks. Its this genre that really makes me appreciate this hobby.

And yes I am bored going thru old ass treads. Its my day off and the demon spawn are still snoozing!

love jazz... there was a jazz record thread in one of the other sections that was really great with suggestions.. but man, I love jazz.  I still have all my charts from college in my basement with my trumpets, looked through them a couple months ago and brought back a lot of great memories of music school.