Invest in Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home's Future

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question about VCFL:

Is it every record you sell, including those from other labels, or is it just ones that VC puts out specifically?

it said all the records they release, so I think he means just the ones with a SH logo on the back ;)

a quick question that I think I have the answer to but I'd like to make sure.. for the sh for life package, is that something that will be around all the time or is it a limited time thing?

these are great ideas virgil, I know I'll do everything I can to keep you guys afloat lol

Raffle and VCFL sounds great!

Looking forward to participating!

You realize that's the $1,000 package, right?

I'm just curious because I see 2 or 3 people stoked about that package and I'm trying to figure out if they are confusing it with one of the other packages. It's a nice idea for a label that we could trust to stick around, but I just don't see why anyone would plop down $1,000 up front on something like this, especially nowadays.

3. The Mary Kay / Pampered Chef Pyramid Scheme at Vinyl Collective - I jokingly call it a pyramid scheme as this idea was inspired by Mary Kay and Pampered Chef where people help sell Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home titles in their community to make extra money. It won't be a scheme though. Do you remember when distros would set up at shows? We want to see this again and will soon be calling upon people all over the world to help us sell our records as well as non-exclusive releases. Can you imagine having 50 to 100 Vinyl Collective representatives selling our records and those of the small labels we buy from? It could revolutionize and uplift our small scene. Sam from Goodcore and I are bouncing ideas off each other to make this work.

how does this differ fromt he existing network of independent diy distros? i still bring my distro to shows and fests and set it up. as do a number of other people. probably many more than 50-100

i guess i dont understand how this is a revolutionary concept to get people to start up distros. this exists and has existed for a great many number of years.

3. The Mary Kay / Pampered Chef Pyramid Scheme at Vinyl Collective - I jokingly call it a pyramid scheme as this idea was inspired by Mary Kay and Pampered Chef where people help sell Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home titles in their community to make extra money. It won't be a scheme though. Do you remember when distros would set up at shows? We want to see this again and will soon be calling upon people all over the world to help us sell our records as well as non-exclusive releases. Can you imagine having 50 to 100 Vinyl Collective representatives selling our records and those of the small labels we buy from? It could revolutionize and uplift our small scene. Sam from Goodcore and I are bouncing ideas off each other to make this work.

how does this differ fromt he existing network of independent diy distros? i still bring my distro to shows and fests and set it up. as do a number of other people. probably many more than 50-100

i guess i dont understand how this is a revolutionary concept to get people to start up distros. this exists and has existed for a great many number of years.

Yeah, that had me scratching my head as well. Distros might not set up their stuff at bigger shows with nationally touring bands but I still see it at every local/DIY show I ever go to whether its in a bar, living room or basement.

Also, if someone wants to start a distro all they need to do is get in touch with labels and ask for a wholesale catalog. A lot of labels don't require you to buy that much in order to get stuff at wholesale prices, especially smaller labels. I'm just not seeing how this is anything different than what can easily be done already.

I think rather than distros buying records and selling them on, the VC representatives will be supplied with the records and advertising media and sent out to sell at shows etc, kinda like a street team/traveling salesman?

this doesnt fit with the making money, getting some capital theme of the post. Sending out free records to 50-100 people around the country is is horrible way to get money, and i doubt even a place thats operating well into the black could afford to send out a large box of records, including distributed titles, to 100 people, and just hope/expect to get money back. if that were the case, suburban home/vinyl collective would/should just work on consignment with existing setup distros around the country to distribute their records. at least with existing places you have a better chance of recouping the money.

it sounds more like they want 100 kids to start distros and exclusively order from them.

man, all of this does sound crazy. not crazy like awesome but crazy like this is a really desperate attempt. bad business ventures trying to cover the failings of bad business ventures. you realize he's making a cash grab in order to desperately attempt to get himself up to a level where hes able to put the wheels in motion to keep making the same mistakes and sinking farther into debt.

you guys know pirate press froze his account because he's into them large? you guys know that he owes labels tons for things sold through here on consignment that they havent seen much if any of? do you guys know he puts up preorders for others labels records before they even go into production, without even expressly gaining permission to do so?

and you kids fucking eat his shit up. wise up. this is not a fucking community. punk rock is an independent community--a bristling, vibrant subculture that unites those desperate souls maligned by society as whole. this place isnt punk. this place is just a fucking store.

anyone who drops of grand on the prospect of getting vinyl in the future from a man who is currently unable to press anything probably deserved to be fleeced of that money.

virgil, you remember that 7" your lackies sent me the wrong one of, told me to send back at my expense and then stop answering my emails about? you can keep that fucking $9. its a drop in the bucket of your six figure debt, but with any luck it will keep you in the business of screwing everyone over awhile longer.

[image]

i expect this post to be deleted very shortly. soak it up while you can kids

I'm a bit concerned about these new projects when it seems like the basic distribution functions (labels sending stuff in on consignment to be sold in the webstore) isn't necessarily working smoothly for VC or the labels. Earlier in the year, I was asked to send in a large amount of records on consignment and that I would get sales reports and checks every 30 days. This just hasn't happened at all and I've seen nothing/haven't gotten a reply about it.

I personally would like to see existing relationship problems addressed before compounding things even further, even though most of these ideas are centered around taking large sums of money up front. (Which is kind of the same concept as pre-orders, which can be disastrous or successful to varying degrees.)

man, all of this does sound crazy. not crazy like awesome but crazy like this is a really desperate attempt. bad business ventures trying to cover the failings of bad business ventures. you realize he's making a cash grab in order to desperately attempt to get himself up to a level where hes able to put the wheels in motion to keep making the same mistakes and sinking farther into debt.

you guys know pirate press froze his account because he's into them large? you guys know that he owes labels tons for things sold through here on consignment that they havent seen much if any of? do you guys know he puts up preorders for others labels records before they even go into production, without even expressly gaining permission to do so?

and you kids fucking eat his shit up. wise up. this is not a fucking community. punk rock is an independent community--a bristling, vibrant subculture that unites those desperate souls maligned by society as whole. this place isnt punk. this place is just a fucking store.

anyone who drops of grand on the prospect of getting vinyl in the future from a man who is currently unable to press anything probably deserved to be fleeced of that money.

virgil, you remember that 7" your lackies sent me the wrong one of, told me to send back at my expense and then stop answering my emails about? you can keep that fucking $9. its a drop in the bucket of your six figure debt, but with any luck it will keep you in the business of screwing everyone over awhile longer.

[image]

i expect this post to be deleted very shortly. soak it up while you can kids

Quoting to avoid deletion.

I wouldn't have been so harsh, but I agree that this smacks of desperation on several levels.

And, as with anything around here, anyone who speaks ill of VC will become the target of scorn, but this seems ultra shady to me.

I personally would like to see existing relationship problems addressed before compounding things even further,

This.

seems like if you are in debt and not doing things correctly, you should just slow down and take care of it. Its not like people dont flock to the vinyl collective store, so people are still buying stuff. Maybe it means not putting out 10-12 releases a year? or taking on new ambitious projects, but just easing up. taking care of old/past items. then once you are back on track, THEN take on some ambitious ideas.

because if this fails (which im not trying to be the harbinger of doom, but realistically IF), then not only can you not take care of old issues, but now you have a whole new set of issues on your plate that mount up more and more.

also, distros that dont pay their consignment bills really makes me upset, because it makes it that much harder for other distros who DO take care of their bills to forge working relationships with labels.