opinions on labels selling test pressings..

i'm not sure i understand what you're trying to say? (my english sucks, haha). to sell it cheap to someone, than the rest at ebay prices?

Let's call "X" the eBay price.

I think he's saying if someone is willing to pay X than the label can sell it for, has a right to sell it for X. They don't need to sell it at X-20 just to be "nice" to a collector.

I would agree with that. Plus, by picking a price the label can set the market a bit.

i agree with this too.

We only do 5 we are not out to hose people on them either, ,

If you pre-ordered from Vinyl Collective you could win one,

If you pre-ordered from us you could win one, (almost there)

If you watch vinyl vlog you will get a chance to win one, (SOON)

The band got one,

and I have one left for myself,

I usually order a bunch extra as every record save a few, lots of people involved wanted them, as in the case with the black cross LPwe ordered 14...the band wanted 2 for each band member, and that left 2 for me and 2 for tuned to you, I gave VC one of mine for a giveaway. and Pierre-Luc from TTY gave one of his away to a friend or something.

I've sold a handful but also just put a few in orders with people who order from me consistently...or even some people who are very vocal in supporting the label.

So a label ordering a bunch of extras isn't always filled with ulterior motives of making money auctioning them off ...more often or not (with me at least) they're not sold. I have no gripes with labels that do sell them though, if anything it helps out evening the margins when we all lose enough money from doing this in the first place from distros continually not paying on time or going out of business and being like, "well..the records are gone, we can't pay you, sorry."

I always thought it was cool for labels to sell them. I got 10 of the record I put out. I sent one to the band beforehand so they could hear it and I was definitely keeping at least one so I got special jackets made and decided to sell the rest for anyone interested. I wasn't trying to rip anyone off (I had them at $32 but now they are only $25 and they have handmade jackets+extras from OhioPride) but the extra money would come in handy when trying to break even. I still actually have a couple tests left that I planned on selling. :)

Test presses are supposed to just be for making sure everything sounds good before the actual pressing. I stand by doing that. I don't really get the hype with test presses. I never get more than 8 made, and extras go to people who helped with the record.

Well you kind of get they're special since you give them to important people who were involved with the release, right?

Guest markovianprocess
I always thought it was cool for labels to sell them. I got 10 of the record I put out. I sent one to the band beforehand so they could hear it and I was definitely keeping at least one so I got special jackets made and decided to sell the rest for anyone interested. I wasn't trying to rip anyone off (I had them at $32 but now they are only $25 and they have handmade jackets+extras from OhioPride) but the extra money would come in handy when trying to break even. I still actually have a couple tests left that I planned on selling. :)

I just checked out your store. Wow! Those test pressing packages look superb!

Test presses are supposed to just be for making sure everything sounds good before the actual pressing. I stand by doing that. I don't really get the hype with test presses. I never get more than 8 made, and extras go to people who helped with the record.

Well you kind of get they're special since you give them to important people who were involved with the release, right?

They're special when they're /5 or /10. But the more you press, the less special they become. But yeah, if you're given one for free I can see them as being special. But if a label sells 20 tests to the public, they just become expensive variants.

They're special when they're /5 or /10. But the more you press, the less special they become. But yeah, if you're given one for free I can see them as being special. But if a label sells 20 tests to the public, they just become expensive variants.

yes...this is why magic bullet started doing entire pressings as "test pressings" ie: black vinyl and blank labels

I just checked out your store. Wow! Those test pressing packages look superb!

Thanks man! Joe from OhioPride did all the jackets and stuff. Everything he does is so awesome.

This is pretty much my feeling on it.