Dear Landlord +(Actual Landlord Content)+

So I got a message from the person that was one of my roommates last year telling us that we owed 3515.45 dollars in damages and I was floored. There was charges for 300 dollars in unpaid energy bills even though we paid everyone we were sent, 100 dollars for sweeping off the back porch and various other shenanigans. Even with the security deposit it's going to be 2090.45 out of our pocket. Fuck that noise. The house is a piece of shit hick ass bloomington, indiana house that isn't even worth 3500 dollars. What the fuck. It's not like we broke anything. That'll probably be the last time i ever rent again. Looks like I'm saving up for a house.

So I got a message from the person that was one of my roommates last year telling us that we owed 3515.45 dollars in damages and I was floored. There was charges for 300 dollars in unpaid energy bills even though we paid everyone we were sent, 100 dollars for sweeping off the back porch and various other shenanigans. Even with the security deposit it's going to be 2090.45 out of our pocket. Fuck that noise. The house is a piece of shit hick ass bloomington, indiana house that isn't even worth 3500 dollars. What the fuck. It's not like we broke anything. That'll probably be the last time i ever rent again. Looks like I'm saving up for a house.

couple questions, how long ago did you live there? how long after you lived there were the charges assessed? did you take any pictures of the house when you moved in and when you moved out?

most cities/states have a 30-day period after the lease expires of when the landlord inspects the property and assesses the damages and costs. If they wait until after the 30 days to do that stuff then its their cost and not yours.

also, if the landlord doesn't return your deposit back in the 30-day period, they owe double. at least thats how it is in PA.

My lease ended August 18th and the landlord was there and inspected the place that day, but it took 6 weeks to get the notice for the costs. Not to mention somebody moved in 5 days after we left. We got like a second notice earlier this week and they say they need the money by the end of the week. The rental company was shady to begin with. Is it fair to ask for receipts and cost reports that document how long they took to fix things and the wages of the people that did the work.

My lease ended August 18th and the landlord was there and inspected the place that day, but it took 6 weeks to get the notice for the costs. Not to mention somebody moved in 5 days after we left. We got like a second notice earlier this week and they say they need the money by the end of the week. The rental company was shady to begin with. Is it fair to ask for receipts and cost reports that document how long they took to fix things and the wages of the people that did the work.

absolutely. don't pay for anything that you don't have documents for. the notice with the costs on it, did it have an issued date on it?

i work for property management and normally when someone moves out, we have 4 days to get the unit ready for the next renter, so it is possible to turn the house/apartment over in a short amount of days. in Florida, the rule is after 30 days no claim can be made on your deposit, so we have to send it back in full. Now we can go back and charge you for any damage and whatnot.

If you decide to dispute the charges, which i think you absolutely should, they should have to show you the invoices for the cleaning and the energy bills. $3500 is A LOT of money to charge back to someone, especially if its just for things like cleaning and electric bills.

When I moved out of an apartment once, they charged ridiculous money for the smallest things. For example, I left 3 cinder blocks on the back porch and they charged me $75 for just that.

Then another apartment, we had that place spotless, and they were too busy to do a final walkthrough so they took our word for it. Then they sent a damages bill in the mail. My wife and I essentially told them to shove it and they dropped the issue.

Indiana Code 32-31-3-12 requires that, upon termination of a rental agreement, a landlord shall return to the tenant all of the security deposit except for amounts applied to the payment of outstanding rent; damages the landlord has or will reasonably suffer because of the tenant's noncompliance with the rental agreement or applicable law; and unpaid utility/sewer charges. Any amount kept by the landlord must be itemized and a written notice sent to the tenant along with the remainder of the deposit within forty-five (45) days after the termination of the rental agreement. However, a tenant must supply the landlord with a forwarding address (in writing) before this section of the law applies. In other words, the forty-five (45) days does not begin to count down until you give the landlord a piece of paper with your forwarding address. If the landlord fails to comply with the requirements established in Indiana Code 32-31-3-12, the tenant may recover all of the security deposit and reasonable attorney's fees. Although tenants are not supposed to be charged for damages attributable to "normal wear and tear," determining whether particular types of damage are due to normal use of the apartment is very difficult. You may think that a few scuff marks on the wall are insignificant, while the landlord views them as requiring major repainting. Unless you have documented the condition of your apartment at move-in and move-out in unambiguous detail, you may never see your deposit again.

http://www.indiana.edu/~sls/landlord_tenant.html#34

I feel your pain man. When I moved from one apartment to another in the same building, I was informed that the previous owners had filed for bankruptcy and that included our deposit. That also meant that the deposit on the new apartment was gone as well, so I was out around $1500. When I went to pick up the forms to file for the lawsuit against them, I was pretty much laughed at as they owed so much money to banks, contractors, etc. that my $1500 was just a drop in the bucket. Good luck, and I hope you stick it to these assholes.