Another reason why indie record stores are great

*big breath*

I ordered Melvins - Nude in Boots (limited to 3000) from Amazon.ca. Fine.

According to the tracking information the package arrived at my post office and was returned as undeliverable. Now, I have to preface this that my address is General Delivery, as we do not have home delivery in my community. So the lady at the post office, whom I know and trust, said there was no name on the package - it just said General Delivery. So she is required by law to return it - no name = no delivery. Makes sense.

I call Amazon to find out why they didn't put my name on the package. They proceed to tell me that it must have been my fault that my name wasn't on the label that they printed out because I didn't confirm my shipping address. I say bullshit - I entered my name three times into their shipping fields, and logic dictates that a package has to have a name on it. I asked if the package could be remailed to me - with my name on it. I was then told that they don't do that, I would have to order the record again and that I would be reimbursed for the other package in 4-6 weeks. Total bullshit. And what guarantee do I have that they won't fuck up and not put my name on the next package?

I have been ordering records through the mail for 10 years, 2 at this 'General Delivery' address, and have never had this kind of appallingly poor customer service. In fact, ordering through indie stores like Vinyl Collective is a pleasant and rewarding experience. And the customer service is usually above and beyond satisfactory (and always is with VC)

The moral of the story isn't anything new (I just needed to rant): support those who support you and fuck big business.

For Moderators: Just an idea - adding a stickied thread for people to rant about shitty vinyl distributors, sort of like a good traders/bad traders.

support your local indie record store people!!!

if they have a shirt, make sure to buy it and wear it proudly around town.

nothing beats picking up your favorite band's new record on vinyl the day it comes out. vote with your dollar and help keep your local record store in business if you're lucky enough to still have one.

support your local indie record store people!!!

if they have a shirt, make sure to buy it and wear it proudly around town.

nothing beats picking up your favorite band's new record on vinyl the day it comes out. vote with your dollar and help keep your local record store in business if you're lucky enough to still have one.

I agree!

Our only 'indie' record store moved from the heart of downtown, where it had been for years, to a mini-mall next to a Soccer Unlimited 10 miles away. Its like they were trying to fail.

Guest markovianprocess

Today I went into my favourite local record shop, Monorail. I was in the mood to buy a new record but I wanted something different, and the guy who was helping me was kind enough to take my ipod and recommend me something on the basis of what was on there. I bought two records as a result of that. I have only listened to one so far, but it turned out to be a great record. I love it when the staff are really knowledgable about what they stock.

The result of their kindness and interest in actually talking about music with customers has led me to curb the majority of my vinyl purchasing online and make an effort to shop there. It means I get none of this bullshit with the mail and their tendency to ignore fragile stickers, and the waiting for them to redeliver, and the rest of that big mess. I am so grateful that places like Monorail exist.

Indeed!

Another good reason to order through local stores:

Generally when I make a special order (yeah, sometimes I don't feel like buying something through the Internet), our local store will pick up two copies. So it's like getting someone else turned on to a great record that's available on the racks.

I love indie record shops, but I have also never had one problem with Amazon. In fact, I have had a fuck up or two that they have handled no questions asked.

To Cait: Yes, NIR should open a shop. However, if you email them, they will let you come by the house and buy shit, which is weird but really awesome. I did it a couple times when I lived in Gainesville. Other than that, I was really disappointed with Gainesville's record shops - especially considering their great music scene.

of the last few records i've bought at Cheapo, brand new, 2 have been all scratched or pitted. in the shrink wrap, brand new, unplayed records. indie store, fail.

of hundreds from VC, i've probably received 2 "scratched" records. i didn't even email them. one was a last in stock of a No Idea record and one was the Flipper "Sex Bomb Baby" reissue (bad groove, last song, side a. anyone else??).

i still shop all outlets, just because you can't always get what you want from your local store or your favorite online retailer. hell, i had to break down and get CSS's first record from amazon in a big dumb box just because Sub Pop and no one else carried it at all!

I want to vomit every time I'm in my local record store. The vinyl is upstairs and, without fail, some asshat will wander up there with his dipshit girlfriend while I'm shopping and start loudly making remarks like "wow, blast from the past man!" or "dude, look! Jazz!" Then they inevitably make their way to the worst, most ordinary shit ever and want to listen to it. Or they ask really loud, "do you guys have any Pearl Jam." I can hardly resist saying "yeah, check under 'P'."

In any case, I do love the record store. And the dude that works there once gave me a copy of "Maggot Brain" because he already had a copy and it was in the pile of stuff he'd just bought from someone that hadn't been priced yet. Pretty awesome and not something amazon is going to do for you.

Totally agree with you - No Idea should open a small store.

Hyde & Zeke's is kinda meh - they sometimes have a few nice finds, but they don't carry much new stuff at all. Too bad - because it's in my neighborhood.

I usually stop in Wayward Council once a month or so - not a huge selection, but I usually find something I like and buy.

We totally need a real record store here.

i've only been to one record store in Gainesville, the only one I know about, and that is Hyde and Zeke's. I wish No Idea would open their own super awesome record store. I would be beyond stoked.