CD burning help

I bought a new computer last month and the only problem I;m having with it is that the cd burner is unreliable. It burns dvd's every single time without a problem, but out of probably 30 attempts, it's only burnt three cds. The rest of the time, it burns the first couple of songs then the rest get an error message and the drive tray won't open until I restart my computer. I got a lens cleaner and ran it, and the cd I tried to burn after that worked fine, but now it's back to not working. It's getting pretty damn aggravating. Any advice?

I had similar CD burning/ripping problems with my drive, and I did the following two things:

1. Lowered the ripping/burning speed from the maximum possible to one step below

2. Removed anything that was on top of my PC tower (in this case, it was my external hard drive and wireless router)

Those two things combined made it so I don't have any problems ripping/burning anymore.