Kirby's guide to keeping your PC/Mac safe!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Gentoo linux + this:

[image]

have kept my computer running beautifully over the years. My AMD Athlon 1800+ still runs like a champ, even though that processor is probably seven years old. I'm considering building a new quadcore rig and running Windows in a VM so I can play games again.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that I can't download anything that may potentially fix my computer. I can download anything else.

I tried to get Spybot- I went in to the message boards through google and found a direct link for downloading it, and as soon as it began, at 0% complete, it stopped.

I'll give Microsoft a chance after work.

EDIT- Security Essentials installed fine, but it can't download updates so it isn't doing anything, I filed an issue with them after going through every troubleshooting suggestion without resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the title of this thread to reflect Macs as well. Newsflash, they have problems too!

Drabley PM'd me a few days ago because his iMac was running a little sluggish. If you have a slow Mac, here are some steps you can to give it a little boost:

There is a program called ONYX that does some cleaning on a Mac. I've used it a few times, but not a ton, it's free. Download it and try it.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

Also, it's always a good idea to Repair the Disk Permissions especially after installing Apple updates. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility select the hard drive on the left then under the First Aid tab click Repair Disk Permissions.

How dirty is your keyboard?

I keep mine pretty clean, but I've seen some nasty ones in my day. My dad recently spilled pop in his iMac's keyboard, it fried the l and ; keys, but everything else worked. So when they bought a new one, I asked for the old one to try something. I always read about this online, but I never tried it. I put the keyboard in the dishwasher, washed it w/ the dishes, took it out, let it dry for 3 days in the sun. The results...

The two keys still didn't work, but the white keyboard was shining like brand new!

I don't recommend this for everyone, but if you're thinking about buying a new keyboard because yours is looking a like a waste dump give this a shot.

• 3 weeks later...
It seems that I can't download anything that may potentially fix my computer. I can download anything else.

I tried to get Spybot- I went in to the message boards through google and found a direct link for downloading it, and as soon as it began, at 0% complete, it stopped.

I'll give Microsoft a chance after work.

EDIT- Security Essentials installed fine, but it can't download updates so it isn't doing anything, I filed an issue with them after going through every troubleshooting suggestion without resolution.

im having the same problem with my PC. laptop is running fine on the wireless. I didnt have Security Essentials so i tried downloading it onto my PC. It wouldnt download, like anything else. Internet pages are loading very slowly, if at all. I transferred Security Essentials from the laptop to the PC but like the guy above said, it wont update so it doesnt do anything.

Guest eriathomas

I'll try to toss together a portable apps set of security programs for people who are having that problem. All you'd need to do it download it to a USB drive from a working PC then run the programs. I'll try to get it together this weekend. Maybe Kirby can toss up some suggestions on programs too, incase I miss some.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright I need some ideas here. I can run malwarebytes and it finds a whole bunch of bad shit. But when it says "scan complete, click ok to view results" or whatever, I click and it closes the program without removing anything. I have also tried aborting the program after it finds a few infections, but it does the same thing. Help!