Looking for an iPod transmitter

coldsnap

have any recommendations? i'm looking at a couple on amazon they have pretty much all the ipods except for the classic, that is not mention in the Compatibility information. any of you have one, or if you can recommend me one, thanks !

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-4030-ROAD-RoadTrip-Transmitter/dp/B0002WTK48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262231676&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-iTrip-Tran.... 2231975&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-21062-3-....2232530&sr= 8-5

Something like this. Basically if you have a line in on your car it's the best (imo)

I'm in the same boat as you though. I have just a $20 transmitter that only picks up 4 stations (Yeah, you get what you pay for, but I don't drive THAT much...) and I don't think it's great, but it gets the job done, sometimes.

yeah, i don't have this on the radio player.

i want to buy a transmitter, since i have an ipod now, that way it would save me the trouble of changing cd's and all that, and that way i can get rid off my cd's too, i have way too many, haha.

i'd need a good quality transmitter tho, because i am going to travel to california at the end of january, so i would need more than 4 channels i think (i'm not too sure how this channel thing works, after a while you lose reception and need to switch to another channel to keep playing your songs?)

Well mine is all in the 88.whatever band. So, basically it works sometimes, but it's not a sure thing. Sometimes lots of static, sometimes not. I drive in the same area so it's funny to see it work sometimes, but then have it not in the exact same spot. I dunno, still looking for a good solution myself.

i'd need a good quality transmitter tho

I'm a car audio nerd. A good FM transmitter (the kind that plays over the radio w/o wires) does not exist. They all suck. They make FM transmitters that you wire into your stereo that still play over the radio, but that requires a lot of wiring and screwing with stuff, I wouldn't recommend it.

To be 100% honest ieven if you buy the "best" fm trasnmitter on the market, its going to be a pain in your ass and sound awful. Your going to spend $50+ dollars for something that sounds like shit and workes half the time.

I have a model similar to this in my car, the head unit in my car doesn't even play cds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-IDA-X303-iPod-USB-Digital-Media-Receiver-New_W0QQitemZ280442640640QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers?hash=item414baf1900#ht_1922wt_1167

But as everyone in this thread said you are better off with a tape deck or a new cd player (i'm 90% sure the sony xplodes don't have a "line in" or "ipod" adaptor slot). But if you let me know the a exact model and I can find the model online and tell you if it does or not.

Definetly for your situation you DO NOT want a FM transmitter to go on a road trip, you will have to re adjust and retune your channel every 45 minutes.

Upon re-reading your post you need to understand what a transmitter does. The transmitter actually trasnmits a radio singnal that your car pics up. Some higher end transmitters let you use every station thats on the radio, some only let you pick from 4-pre sets. You then tune your car radio to the station you are broadcasting on and pick up the transmitter signal.

FM transmitters suck becase you are -

1. Competing with real radio signals

2. The transmitters themselves are weak so you don't fuck with other peoples car radios, therefor making it hard to compete with real radio signals.

Hope that helps clear it up for ya dude.

thanks for all the info chap !

i will stop at my mom's place and i'll try to find my old car radio, hopefully i can find it, that way i'll just have to uninstall my radio and install this one and buy a tape adapter. i don't have time to go see the brand of my radio in my car cause i'm leaving soon but i'll let you know this week. but than again, if i can find my old radio, it would solve the problem. you seem to know what you are talking about, so i don't think i'll buy any fm transmitter for the trip.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Lifestyle-Outfitters-TransDock-Classic/dp/B00185RSG0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262347143&sr=1-3

i have it, i've tried LOTS of them and returned them all. there is a really good price on this one USED if you jump on it. i think i paid $70-80 at best buy for it, open box? maybe. my ipod got stolen in june and i used this thing everyday at work until then with ford factory am/fm radios. worked great.

that Griffin RoadTrip SUCKS. top heavy and dumps your ipod all the time and piss poor reception. the DLO has a little weight issue but it's not nearly as bad. it's pretty much always a big issue with the cradles.

this cradle charges your ipod, supports multiple sizes with adapters. i had a classic 80gb.

line-in if you want to plug in another non-ipod device and transmit it through the DLO.

blue backlit screen that can be turned off, great for having to change frequencies at night.

kind of bulky but still convenient size. adjustable arm/extender for tight angles to the power supply.

but if you just want to charge your ipod separately and line-in with a cassette adapter or something, that is definitely the way to go. i use a transmitter at work because almost none of our vans have tape players and you're constantly switching vehicles.

Chap's right -- even the really fancy iPod/FM transmitters still only work half the time and are generally a waste of money. My girlfriend bought me the top-of-the-line Griffin one for my birthday and it's damn near useless unless you're driving in the middle of nowhere and there are few chances for radiowaves to interfere.