Web Design degree, smart idea?

Guest eriathomas

Guest eriathomas

I'm not really digging Cisco, it's too boring for me, so I'm thinking og switching to Web Design since the criteria is so similar and I'd only have like 6-7 web classes left until I'm finished. Is this a smart move? Is there still demand for web designers, programmers, and maintainers? Anyone work in this field for a company or freelance? I'm worried that by switching I'm really hurting my chances of finding a job, but I think this will make me happier in the long run.

Its a very small, very specialized market. I wouldn't get involved unless you couple it with a deep understanding of one of the following:

- ASP

- PHP (the one I'd choose)

- Flash Action Scripting

- Cold Fusion

- JavaScript

AND

- MySQL

- AJAX

- XML processing

- CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)

Now I'm not sure Cold Fusion is even used that much and the same goes for Action Scripting. Hence why I would go with PHP. Facebook uses along with AJAX to get the application feel to their pages (not as much re-loading)

I think Web Developer is the technical term.

You have back end people (coders) and front end (designers).

I guess it's best to know both, but some people don't have a brain for it. I can't really design a website, but I understand most of the stuff going on in the code.

The big things on the web right now are AJAX and JQUERY and all those pretty things that make "web 2.0"

HTML 5 is nearing release, a lot of cool stuff there.

A lot of people that I know that are into web development graduated from art schools.

What are you going to school for now?

At my company, if you have one of those specialized IT degrees, that's what you will be doing if they hire you. The way they see it, you should be very qualified for that one task, but if the person ever wants to move away from that task, they are extremely reluctant to move that individual without further education.

I'm a server administrator with a bachelors degree in English working for a grocery store chain. If you can figure out how that happened, let me know because I still can't.

There are a small group of us in our IT department that work with many of the other departments in the company. All of us are the only people with degree's outside of IT. Also, we get paid more.

So my recommendation, if you are still determined to get an IT degree, would be a four year degree in Information Systems or something that covers more of the whole IT spectrum. A minor in business is not a bad thing to go with it either. With an information systems degree, you still have a good chance to get on somewhere as a web designer. Personally, I just think it gives you more options for the future.

Or since you are so close, finish the Cisco degree and try and look for a job where you can do both.

Guest eriathomas

I'm currently enrolled in the "Computer Information Systems: Cisco Networking Track". I'm currently only going for an Associates Degree, but I took the classes so I can go back for the bachelor's if I need to/want to. I was planning on getting the cisco certifications, and all the hardware stuff, but the more classes I've taken the less and less appealing it is to me as a career.

Web design is more appealing to me, I like code and am interested in doing it a lot more then the other stuff. I just don't know what to do anymore, I feel like I'm getting pressured by my family to get to finish my degree soon since I'm almost 24 and my younger sister has already graduated andh as a job. I probably would have been done, but I was out of school for 3 years because of my anxiety problems.

Guest eriathomas

I dropped my hardware support class, but I think I may end up sticking with Cisco since it seems like a much better choice for job opportunities. I only have like 8 classes left, so I figured I can probably finish by this time next year if I go in the summer. I'd like to be able to go full time in the summer and fall and be finished by the winter, but it's so damn hard when I have to work 40+ hours a week.

I have a bachelors in fine arts and have been working in design studios for 11 years. There's way more to knowing web design then just knowing the code. I mean if you wanna be a web programmer then that's one thing and I would go for a different degree then design.

Right now, I doubt a company would hire someone who just specializes in design or code. I think they're looking for someone who can do both well.

"Web Designer" is a sexier job than "System Administrator", however everyone with a little HTML and CSS knowledge fancies themselves a web designer. You're more likely to get a better paying job being a Sys Admin as many businesses require them, not just web companies.

This is pretty true. I know some HTML/CSS (not a web designer though! HAHA) and it helps me a ton in my job as a Sys Admin, so there's always that. I redesigned the company Intranet. They wanted me to do the website and I was like, noooo waaaaay!

Guest eriathomas
I have a bachelors in fine arts and have been working in design studios for 11 years. There's way more to knowing web design then just knowing the code. I mean if you wanna be a web programmer then that's one thing and I would go for a different degree then design.

Right now, I doubt a company would hire someone who just specializes in design or code. I think they're looking for someone who can do both well.

I figured this much too when I was debating it. I used to know a ton about photoshop and design back duirng PS7, but it's been years and my art skills are really lack luster. I think I'll stick with Cisco, thanks guys.

great idea if you specialize in DEVELOPMENT:

PHP

CSS

Javascript

Ajax

CSS is the big one, become an expert in that and you will be golden, its been in more and more demand over the past few years (I work in ecommerce yo).

Be a web developer, not a designer, very rarely do you find someone with excellent talents in BOTH. Who ever said a company wont hire someone with both is completely wrong. If you work for a mom and pop shop maybe but a real company will separate the two.

Skip - Cold Fusion, Flash, and ASP.

What I meant was a design studio would rather hire someone with both design and developer knowledge. Most studios are small and can't afford to separate the two.

Of course a large company does have the funds to hire both a designer and developer. But in my experience, they usually outsource the design and choose to develop in-house.