Anyone Avoid Purchasing Stuff from RIAA Labels?

corbet

^^A Band's website? Radiohead released "In Rainbows" on their own website, Saul Williams is releasing his stuff on his own site for free or a $5 donation which lets you choose the format you wish to download (FLAC, MP3, ect.). I really have no idea how iTunes works in terms of taking a cut, but I do know some independent local bands who arn't on a label even have their music in iTunes.

Labels don't get a cut of the t-shirts unless they paid for them. Venues often do.

My point was, the band doesn't necessarily get more of a cut if you bought the CD at Computer Shit and spent the money at the show on a t-shirt. End result = same, whatever it is you are buying at the show.

And your thing about middlemen - they have their place too. Have you forgotten who is providing this lovely messageboard?

edit : either way, I feel like this is a constructive dialogue, honestly... I can talk about things the way I see them, but I also like to see how other people see them. Sometimes I learn something, sometimes I dig my heels in more. Whatever.

I hate the RIAA too, just like I hate about every giant evil lobby group. I just don't know the best way to stick it to them without stepping on people that don't deserve it.

^^A Band's website? Radiohead released "In Rainbows" on their own website, Saul Williams is releasing his stuff on his own site for free or a $5 donation which lets you choose the format you wish to download (FLAC, MP3, ect.). I really have no idea how iTunes works in terms of taking a cut, but I do know some independent local bands who arn't on a label even have their music in iTunes.

I was mainly talking about paid downloads. Free downloads aren't exactly profitable.

What I meant is even though you cut out the physical middle man (Best Buy or wherever), you've still got the digital middle man (iTunes).