Anyone have a high-end setup?

Was thinking of upgrading from an AT to something that won't skip, until suddenly hit with financial troubles.

For me, aesthetics are really important. Looking for a white turntable and what I currently have is a plastic beauty.

Before financial troubles, was thinking a pro-ject would be affordable, but better to save for a rega.

However, the clearaudio's are awesome looking. Anyone have one of these? What's the benefit of spending a fortune on a turntable?

It depends on what you listen to... the high end turntable, the less vibration, flutter, better cartridge, platter, motor, cables, belt, isolation, plinth... the list goes on. Every part gets better. It would be easier if you posted a price range.

My best friend owns an audio company. He has the low level Clearaudio (its like $1500) and a VPI Scout, along with a full McIntosh tube pre-amp, McIntosh power amp, and Sonus Faber (forgot the model) speaker setup. Sounds golden... but he has about you know, $20,000 just in his equipment.

What's the benefit of spending a fortune on a turntable?

The benefit (from a general point of view that most can agree on) is so that the turntable steps out of the way and allows you to hear the recording as closely to what it sounded like on the master tape. Simply put, audio gear should be as close to transparent as possible and not color the music in any way. How to go about achieving this is as varied as there are high-end tables, amps and speakers.

The room you put it in is just as important as well…

One may or may not consider my setup "high end".

My turntable is a Logic DM101 in extremely good condition, which was made in the early 80's by a hi-fi company in England that went under. Because of that, it's a rare table, and one that a lot of serious audiophiles cream over. The platter is extremely heavy precision-cut metal, suspended by springs to keep it separate from the chassis (the body) of the 'table. This makes for excellent isolation and inertia when playing records. If I'm listening to a record and I bump the body of my turntable, it doesn't effect the play back in the least.

The arm that came with the 'table is a Syrinx PU3 Ipsissima, which I believe was about a $1200.00 arm back in the 1980's. I don't know much else about it, other than that.

The 'table came with a Linn K18 cartridge, which sounded good, but was getting pretty old, so I switched it for an Audio Note IQ-II cartridge. If you're not familiar with Audio Note, they're a high-end English hi-fi company, who make three moving magnet cartridges, the IQ I, II, and III. At my local hi-fi store, the IQ-I retails for about $700, and I got my IQ-II at bargain for $400 (it would sell for between $1000 and $1200).

In all, I've spent roughly $950.00 on my turntable ($550 for the 'table, and $400 for the cartridge). This is a steal of a deal, as an equivalent setup with a newly manufactured 'table would cost me well over $2000.

And yes, it's totally worth it.

[image]

One may or may not consider my setup "high end".

My turntable is a Logic DM101 in extremely good condition, which was made in the early 80's by a hi-fi company in England that went under. Because of that, it's a rare table, and one that a lot of serious audiophiles cream over. The platter is extremely heavy precision-cut metal, suspended by springs to keep it separate from the chassis (the body) of the 'table. This makes for excellent isolation and inertia when playing records. If I'm listening to a record and I bump the body of my turntable, it doesn't effect the play back in the least.

The arm that came with the 'table is a Syrinx PU3 Ipsissima, which I believe was about a $1200.00 arm back in the 1980's. I don't know much else about it, other than that.

The 'table came with a Linn K18 cartridge, which sounded good, but was getting pretty old, so I switched it for an Audio Note IQ-II cartridge. If you're not familiar with Audio Note, they're a high-end English hi-fi company, who make three moving magnet cartridges, the IQ I, II, and III. At my local hi-fi store, the IQ-I retails for about $700, and I got my IQ-II at bargain for $400 (it would sell for between $1000 and $1200).

In all, I've spent roughly $950.00 on my turntable ($550 for the 'table, and $400 for the cartridge). This is a steal of a deal, as an equivalent setup with a newly manufactured 'table would cost me well over $2000.

And yes, it's totally worth it.

[image]

the wall is killing my eyes..