My Record Player Is Scratching My Vinyl

I have a strange problem in which a few of my records are being scratched when I play them while others remain unscathed. I'm too scared to use it now. This has happened a handful of times and has occurred infrequently. It has affected my Decemberists vinyl more than any other. Here are some pictures:

[image]

[image]

The grooves are scratched as it plays. There are three long scratch marks near the top that follow the grooves for an inch and a half or so. There are more towards bottom of the record too. They still play fine but it's a glaring mark and I'm afraid that it will get worse. I am no vinyl expert and I'm not sure what makes this happen. Is it the needle wearing out? Or is it something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've never had a NOFX album touch my record player. I'm feel completely satisfied with that.

No, the cartridge does not touch the record. It's only happened a few times. From what I can tell by all the comments, it's probably a bad needle. I assume that if it were the tone arm, it would scratch records consistently, right? I've never set the weight of the cartridge. It's an old record player so perhaps it's not functioning 100%.

Hmmm.

I've never had a NOFX album touch my record player. I'm feel completely satisfied with that.

No, the cartridge does not touch the record. It's only happened a few times. From what I can tell by all the comments, it's probably a bad needle. I assume that if it were the tone arm, it would scratch records consistently, right? I've never set the weight of the cartridge. It's an old record player so perhaps it's not functioning 100%.

Hmmm.

yeah, id start out by checking into a new needle. also, get yourself a shure stylus pressure gauge while youre at it. its a definite must.

id recommend a "micro linear" stylus. heres a good place to start:

www.needledoctor.com also www.lpgear.com

If it has only happened on a few, were these 180g? and have you changed your slipmat recently?

No, they were not 180 gram and I haven't changed anything on the record player since I came into possession of it.

Hmmm.

yeah, id start out by checking into a new needle. also, get yourself a shure stylus pressure gauge while youre at it. its a definite must.

id recommend a "micro linear" stylus. heres a good place to start:

www.needledoctor.com also www.lpgear.com

Thanks for the tips ya'll. I'll be sure to make some investments once I find a freaking job.

I've been thinking about getting a new turntable since I won a gift certificate from amazon.com. I've been searching over the available models and most have mixed reviews.

I'm leaning towards a Pioneer or an Audio Technica. Both are pretty cheap models and they have a good rating. Thoughts?

Or I'll simply buy another stylus.

I've been thinking about getting a new turntable since I won a gift certificate from amazon.com. I've been searching over the available models and most have mixed reviews.

I'm leaning towards a Pioneer or an Audio Technica. Both are pretty cheap models and they have a good rating. Thoughts?

Or I'll simply buy another stylus.

I'd get a completely new turntable over a stylus for your old one.