4 Way Split Records: Yes or No?

ihprstl

A project that was brought up to me by a couple of bands in my home town was doing a 4 way split 7” or 10”. All of the bands that would be on here are pretty popular in my area and their other records sell well here and through mail order as well. The more I started thinking about it though, I realized that I think I only have two 4 way split records in my personal collection; Red Army Faction (Hot Water Music, Avail, Discount, The Weakerthans), and The Philadelphia Sound (The Curse, G!FTT, Knives Out, Paint It Black). Obviously the bands we would be working with are significantly smaller in popularity than the previous ones mentioned. And both of the releases I mentioned above are relatively older releases and still readily available.

Although, I think a 4 way split 7” or 10” with good hometown bands would be fun to do, I personally think it would be a money pit as far as sales go.

Personally, if I saw a band for the first time and they had other full lengths or 7”s, I would purchase one of those before I bought the 4 way split. If that was the only release they had for sale the chance of me purchasing it would be much greater.

Opinions???

Crap. Forgot to add the "Would buy something else if available" answer...

it's obviously going to vary with whichever bands you're including, but if any of them have newer songs or throwbacks that aren't on another album, that might help alot.

i personally would be much more tempted if it was a 12", which each band submitting 2 songs. it seems like it would be much more worthwhile that way

Depends on the artwork. Honestly when I'm standing at the merch table and I know nothing about a band but wanna help get some money in their gas tank, I'll grab something on the cheap and if there is a choice, the better looking one. So put those screen printing skills to use and make it happen.

I've been involved with two 4 way splits. One is finished, not sure how it's selling but I think they pressed too many and one if the bands is broken up. The other each band is going in on it and releasing it as a collective. I'll be doing the covers and I think they're only doing 500 total.

Depends on the artwork. Honestly when I'm standing at the merch table and I know nothing about a band but wanna help get some money in their gas tank, I'll grab something on the cheap and if there is a choice, the better looking one. So put those screen printing skills to use and make it happen.

I've been involved with two 4 way splits. One is finished, not sure how it's selling but I think they pressed too many and one if the bands is broken up. The other each band is going in on it and releasing it as a collective. I'll be doing the covers and I think they're only doing 500 total.

Ha! Just finished 500 7" jackets for the new Teenage Rehab record we are doing. 2 colors on the front and 1 color on the back. Starting 500 more next week for the new Disappeared 7". At least with The Disappeared they are local to me so I can force them to come over and help!!

Yeah, we would for sure screen these as well. I'm just kind of on the fence with this. I really like the bands that will be on here and we would probably only press 300. I'm sure I'll get drunk tonight at the Copyrights show and they'll talk me into it... ;););)