world music stuff

I work for/with a lot of world/ethnic artists, do any of you guys/gals go or have gone to a college who has brought in world arts? Our main focus is education through the arts, so universities/school districts are who i tend to work with the most... I dunno, just thought it'd see if anyone went to a school that does this kind of stuff.

There is a man named Bernard Woma, who is from Ghana and plays traditional African percussion instruments. He teaches, takes classes and performs here in Fredonia a bunch. He is an interesting dude. He travels the world playing his spider sack/gourd xylophone and talking drums. Other than him, there are world music artists that visit every once in a while. Fredonia is a big music school so it is inevitable.

There is a man named Bernard Woma, who is from Ghana and plays traditional African percussion instruments. He teaches, takes classes and performs here in Fredonia a bunch. He is an interesting dude. He travels the world playing his spider sack/gourd xylophone and talking drums. Other than him, there are world music artists that visit every once in a while. Fredonia is a big music school so it is inevitable.

I'll have to let you know if anything we do comes to Fredonia! SUNY, right? They have a huge music ed/tech department if im right.. I have friends who went/lived there from PA and also western NY. Ive been to BJ's a few times years ago for some shows

I'll have to let you know if anything we do comes to Fredonia! SUNY, right? They have a huge music ed/tech department if im right.. I have friends who went/lived there from PA and also western NY. Ive been to BJ's a few times years ago for some shows

Word. SUNY indeed. The music department is pretty intense. I intended to do sound recording through the music department when I applied, but realized it was too intense for me, so I because an audio/radio production major in the Comm department. BJ's is pretty fun. They have some rad shows every now and then. Saxon Shore came a few weeks ago.

Word. SUNY indeed. The music department is pretty intense. I intended to do sound recording through the music department when I applied, but realized it was too intense for me, so I because an audio/radio production major in the Comm department. BJ's is pretty fun. They have some rad shows every now and then. Saxon Shore came a few weeks ago.

I played at BJ's with them 4 years ago at the first BJ's Fest. It was awesome!

the one group I work for is called Inca Son, a 9 member dance/music group from Peru. Its all traditional peruvian/andean music and dance. They reside in Boston, but are all from Peru.

Those dudes totally came to my middle school at least twice over 10 years ago!

haha, thats awesome! they handle the mass area themselves since hey're from there, but they do soooo much stuff in the greater boston area

I played at BJ's with them 4 years ago at the first BJ's Fest. It was awesome!

I played BJ's fest 2 years ago with Fire When Ready! It was a good time.

I like Cuban music, like Buena vista social club

or, African Music, like Orchestra Baobab

Did you guys have those buskers from Peru in the states? Huge groups of musicians from Peru that played flutes and drums, like ten people, and all dancing and swaying and singing to the rythm. They were everywhere a while back, like every city and train station had like 5 differant groups and they all sounded the same...haha..

Guest falloutcollapse

If anyone ever wants Bollywood movie soundtracks, seriously ask. My parents have like 6,000.

Also, I like some Beirut-ish stuff I've heard. That's about as worldly as I get, unfortunately.

i like french music with accordians. like the "amelie" soundtrack.

Yeah, I have a couple discs of newer french bands doing this stuff, like La Tordue, Les Tetes Raides, and L'hurlements d'Leo (or something like that). Its great stuff that I picked up in France and haven't been able to get any more of it in years.

I like a lot of international stuff, I managed to pick up a Victor Jara lp at a record show recently for $2, I don't think the seller even knew what it was. There's this Peruvian singer I like, Susana Baca that is really good, she covered a bjork song on one of her albums that is kind of a trip.