Soundproofing?

I have a garage that I am trying to soundproof as cost effectively as possible. I realize that I'll have to do something about the garage door itself, I was just wondering if anyone has done something similar and if there are techniques or products that are worth a damn.

I am leaning towards the "room in a room" tactic, but I don't want to loose too much space since it's a one car garage.

anyhow - if you have done this, some tips would rule.

hang foam egg cartons up, and put mattresses against the wall. it wont look amazing, but it's much cheaper than buying sound board (approx $35 for a 3x3 square). just hit up a salvation army/goodwill/etc. and get a couple. an old friend of mine did this for his practice room. when i walked outside the house, i could barely hear a thing coming from the room.

get those flooring rolls of cork padding, a friend did this to a room in his house and with the door closed it only sounded like a stereo was on in the room with a full band playing. i think one wall was also carpeted completely.

hmm, this might work, and would be about the same price as framing and adding 2 layers of drywall (http://www.soundproofing101.com/soundproofing_3.htm)

I think the main offender is the garage door and 3 windows, so I may tackle those 1st. right now there is carpet on it, but there are visible cracks where light comes in. I may either need a new (expensive) one, or take it out, frame it, and make it it a wall.

get those flooring rolls of cork padding, a friend did this to a room in his house and with the door closed it only sounded like a stereo was on in the room with a full band playing. i think one wall was also carpeted completely.

hmm, this might work, and would be about the same price as framing and adding 2 layers of drywall (http://www.soundproofing101.com/soundproofing_3.htm)

I think the main offender is the garage door and 3 windows, so I may tackle those 1st. right now there is carpet on it, but there are visible cracks where light comes in. I may either need a new (expensive) one, or take it out, frame it, and make it it a wall.

you might be able to get a weatherproofing kit to cover those gaps and maybe just installing sound proofing foam on the panels of the door might be enough to absorb the majority of it.