JVC R-S33 Receiver

So I got a new record player today and brought down a receiver from my parents house and when i hooked the speakers up to it it comes out real quiet. My old record player i used to have had built in speakers, so that wasnt an issue. but yeah.. can anyone help me figure this out? do I need something to power it up?

pioneer PL 512 turntable i think? im in the other room, i've been googling forever haha and i cant get what i think in eneed?

Just head down to your local electronics store and ask for a preamp and make sure it has a phono input (you don't want a line stage preamp). I got one for $30 from Circuit City about 5 years ago. If you come up short, just check out www.needledoctor.com and get what you can afford. That'll get you up and running. Like any other component in your system (amp/receiver, turntable, tonearm, cartridge, speakers) the preamp can affect the sound of your system greatly, but if you're not spending good money on the other parts, then dropping a bunch of money on this is worthless.

I always thought that the pre-amp push the signal level for your entire system but I could be wrong.

No, a phono pream pushes the signal from the phono cartridge (in your turntable) only. There are line stage pre-amps for use with non-phono sources (any source that isn't a turntable, such as a CD player, etc) but this is for high end stuff. For a simple receiver, the system's amplification is completely self-contained (except for phono-amplification, hence the need for the pre-amp).

I hope that makes sense.

Sounds like what happened to my right channel on my reciever.

In my experience, there was a pre-amp inside for each channel(left and right). One of them was blown and that side played really quiet.I called an electronics repair guy and he wanted like $200 to repair it. He did say if I got a pre-amp(like that one from needle doctor listed above),it would play ok.I said screw it and bought a receiver at the pawn shop for $60.

Hope that helps some.

so its my receiver then? and the phono preamp would only improve the turntable part, and do nothing for the radio?

It really is hard to say what the problem is with your system. Did you double check to make sure everything is connected properly? If the radio isn't coming out loud and clear then you probably just need a new receiver.

If you do go that route, I'd skip buying any mass produced crap from Best Buy and pick up a Marantz 2200 series receiver (there are many, many models). Yes, it'll be 30 years old but trust me, its built better and sounds better than the junk marketed today by Sony and others. You can pick up a good Marantz for $100 or less, and guess what? You won't need a seperate pre-amp, because back in the 70s they built them right into receivers (they stopped putting phono preamps in receivers around 1990 as a cost saving measure when companies decided people no longer used their turntables).

Extensive information for Marantz receivers (and other Marantz gear) can be found here

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

well actually, no, this is not about my record player, its about my receiver, hence the word receiver in the title and subject of the thread, which is not exclusively for record playing as I mentioned the radio aspect I wanted it for. so -1 for scott!

Anyone wanna trade me for that Hank Jones 7"? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?