Starbucks sued for unreasonably hot tea

I say if she ordered iced tea and got burned, then yeah, she should sue.

It's THAT fucking simple.

Then go become a judge and change the law(s)

Judges can only change the interpretations of laws, not the laws themselves!* raaaaah

*I realize this is skipping over quite a bit, but it's basically true. the "raaaaaah" stands.

The hot water tap at my Starbucks pours water at 185F, we steam our milk to 150~160F for lattes, and under no circumstances are we allowed to touch with our hands any lid, lip of a cup, or anything else the customer would be putting their mouth on. That being said, I have had the tea water spill onto my hand from being bumped or whatever and the never received any crazy burns. Maybe I'm Superman? Also, like it was mentioned above, we're not allowed to hand cups directly to people, we have to put them down on the counter for them to pick up. I just don't get some people, I mean if you know this thing is going to be hot why wouldn't you take more care with it? Do you juggle knives and run with scissors at home? Too bad these people can't burn their reproductive systems so badly they are unable to procreate.

That's kind of the point I'm making. "Regular" hot water isn't going to give anyone second and third degree burns. Meaning the water has to be far hotter for any serious injury to occur.

I'm suing all of you for having the worst argument in the world. I am suffering from physical pain and mental anguish from having read this thread.

Tea should almost NEVER use boiling water, and the same goes for coffee. My issue with the McDonald's case was that fresh coffee of any temperature should never be put between your legs. It is safe to assume that fresh coffee/tea is a little too hot for comfortable consumption and therefore should be left alone and not immediately handled (especially by your thighs). I don't see any specifics in the Starbucks article as to the burn location, other than I can assume said customer dove right in without thinking and burned their lips. I don't understand how you can be at fault as a restaurant for this unless it was indeed an unsafe container that broke or wasn't labeled as containing a hot beverage, everything past that is just common sense for the customer.

Tea should almost NEVER use boiling water, and the same goes for coffee. My issue with the McDonald's case was that fresh coffee of any temperature should never be put between your legs. It is safe to assume that fresh coffee/tea is a little too hot for comfortable consumption and therefore should be left alone and not immediately handled (especially by your thighs). I don't see any specifics in the Starbucks article as to the burn location, other than I can assume said customer dove right in without thinking and burned their lips. I don't understand how you can be at fault as a restaurant for this unless it was indeed an unsafe container that broke or wasn't labeled as containing a hot beverage, everything past that is just common sense for the customer.

While you are right, its totally stupid to put hot liquid between your legs it shouldn't care third degree burns. And that particular McDonald's was told prior their coffee was too hot to be safe and to fix their machines. That's why they lost that case.

While you are right, its totally stupid to put hot liquid between your legs it shouldn't care third degree burns. And that particular McDonald's was told prior their coffee was too hot to be safe and to fix their machines. That's why they lost that case.

BETTA FIX THEM MACHINES!

Maybe so, but at least I'm not arguing about the temperature of a drink. Hating on that seems like a more valuable use of my time.

Maybe so, but at least I'm not arguing about the temperature of a drink. Hating on that seems like a more valuable use of my time.

I think they're both petty and useless. However, I try to make sure I'm aware of the time I waste and the fact that I DO have time to waste because I believe that such an ability is one of the most greatly under appreciated luxuries in life. I'm not trying to sound like a pompous dick, I'm just explaining why I don't think it matters if I'm arguing about something that has no purpose.

You are all stupid and dumb and to be quite frank, very ugly. Also you are a bunch of dumb, whiny babies and again, also stupid.

Well, at least this argument is over and I have won it. Good work, team.