Google TV

I want something that does that AND can connect to my network and stream the tv/movies I have on my hard drive.

I'm not sure why companies continue to get the set-top box deal wrong. But Google and Apple both have.

For me at least, it needs to the ability to rent, buy, stream, and store movies/video and music. It needs to plug-in to my TV and record shows. It needs to be able to push that recorded content to an external hard drive.

I'd love integration in to a Netflix-type service and apps but neither of those things matter as much.

I just want something that I can pay for the channels I actually watch. Fox Sports Midwest, Food Network and Discovery Channel. The other 97 channels in my subscription I could give a shit about and I have to pay $60 a month to watch 3 channels...

I think that's a bit farther off given the control cable and satellite companies seem to have.

Guest eriathomas

I doubt there will ever be a fully functioning HTPC set-top out of the box, since every is worried about piracy and the like. This is pretty interesting though.