United - Randomly Mixed Vinyl Cheaper than Black

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

United sent this out in their most recent newsletter. If you are a fan of the randomly mixed colored vinyl (think No Idea Grey or No Idea Purple), this is a pretty good deal. Not only is the vinyl per unit cheaper, but you don't have the set up charges normally associated with colored vinyl. I personally am not a super fan of the randomly mixed vinyl, but if you are, this is definitely a great deal.

More info at United Record Pressing http://www.urpressing.com/specials.php

they do this sale a lot...or at least they used to

...but then when they break your plates, don't tell you they're broken until you have to repress something and then guilt trip you because you didn't use their in-house mastering/plating service you're fucked. Then you have to get new plate(s) made...which costs $100 each because Aardvark/Mastercraft don't guarantee their plates for "X amount" of 1000's of records (like they do with every other plant except United) causes a 3 month email argument delay on who's paying the re-plating fee, then the records get repressed, all 500 come in warped, then 2 years of "hey you sent me 500 warped records, fix this" emails... kinda negates the sale.

...but that's my personal experience. Lots of labels use United and have no problems ever. Then again, lots of labels have similar experiences and also refuse to ever use them again.

Guest Admin

wow justin/dan. who are you guys using these days? I've definitely had a few issues with United, but I've had issues with everyone.

Guest afsdan
wow justin/dan. who are you guys using these days? I've definitely had a few issues with United, but I've had issues with everyone.

I've had slight issues with all plants, but United's insanity tops all by miles.

I like Bill Smith, the only problem with them in 5 projects was they sent me 480 instead of 400 7"'s, which in the end made me more money cuz I had extra covers onhand.

Even Rainbo (which I've heard some bad stories about) did a spectacular job with the Green Fuse 10" (which more people should order, cuz it's a fucking great record)

I really wanna start a record label since I'm not a great musician and haven't even played in a band in like 3 years. I always like seeing deals like this from pressing plants...gives me an idea of how much money I need to have to do it.

And Virgil, what did you think of Christina Wagner when she played with Austin? Chris gave me a deal on the tour split CD of demos and I really like her stuff. She got a legit recording...I almost want to tell her, "Hey, I've got $500, I'll use it to either make however many 7"s I can or a bunch of CDs."

Rainbo mainly, but I am going to use Alpha Music for the Olehole 7"

Alpha was a headache for the Iron Rain 7".

There was zero consistency in the vinyl thickness and their idea of blue vinyl is questionable also.

The one time I used United I had an excellent experience.

the 3 records they've pressed for me all came out awesome...but they were all LPs, maybe their 7"s are just a little wonky...their LPs for me have all been on the heavier end of the spectrum...especially the Get Rad LP...those could be used as weapons.

Alpha was a headache for the Iron Rain 7".

There was zero consistency in the vinyl thickness and their idea of blue vinyl is questionable also.

The one time I used United I had an excellent experience.

the 3 records they've pressed for me all came out awesome...but they were all LPs, maybe their 7"s are just a little wonky...their LPs for me have all been on the heavier end of the spectrum...especially the Get Rad LP...those could be used as weapons.

The solid colors came out really thick (like weapons) and the clear/clearish colors for the most part were really really thin.

They did rush things for us so we could have the records in time for tour so that was pretty awesome of them.

Guest afsdan
I really wanna start a record label since I'm not a great musician and haven't even played in a band in like 3 years. I always like seeing deals like this from pressing plants...gives me an idea of how much money I need to have to do it.

And Virgil, what did you think of Christina Wagner when she played with Austin? Chris gave me a deal on the tour split CD of demos and I really like her stuff. She got a legit recording...I almost want to tell her, "Hey, I've got $500, I'll use it to either make however many 7"s I can or a bunch of CDs."

yer gonna need more than 500 bux, friend