Traveling to Tampa

Grab a delicious beer @ New World Brewery. Check them out online -- may even have a show worth seeing as a bonus.

And please feel free to stop by my old house in Seminole Heights and send my ex-wife my warmest regards.

No beer for me, as I am straightedge.

pics of the ex-wife? ;D

vinyl fever in tampa is a good record store. Sound Exchange is decent, and Banana's Music Warehouse is ok too.

the aquarium is kinda shitty, i would avoid that

I went to the Big Cat Rescue last weekend, and it was a cool place. tours to see lions, tigers...

i havent checked out to see if there is any shows but here are some

http://statemedia.com/events.php

Salvador dali museum in st. pete is pretty cool

there are some cool bars, but that doesnt help you out much.

ONce i wake up i will try to think of other shit to do

There's some place called like Alaskan Tacos, or something like that, which is really good. You can get a gator taco!

This place is called Mema's Alaskan Tacos and is on 8th street in Ybor city. its like a block away from my new office but i have yet to eat there. some people love it and others smash it. I think everything there is fried like 5 times.... super healthy stuff.

Mojo's is your best bet for record store, It's by USF.

Get a bite to eat at the Taco Bus, Trang's viet, and Cappy's pizza.

There's a rad show on Wednesday:

[image]

I havent had much luck at Mojo's but it is a cool place.

whats the deal with the taco bus? my friend mentioned it last week but i know nothing about it.

I had Taco Bus for the first time in a long time on Saturday.

I was at WMNF radio with Micah from Two Cow Garage,

and my friend who was hosting the show had someone run out

and pick up some goodies from there! Good stuff!

By the way, here's a video of Micah performing "American Static" and a song that is going to be on the new Two Cow record "Lydia" that I shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpTPdaMgYKA

park ave is not worth the drive. that place really isnt that great. i havent been there in years but the one that used to be in clearwater (tampa) was killer compared to the place in orlando.

I used to come home from college and dig through the bins of promo + used cd boxes for hours and come home with 30-50 cds for like 25-50 bucks. good shit too, plus it was fun to dig through the boxes with my friends.

So I flew in last night, staying at the Intercontinental on West Shore.

Haven't seen much of Tampa yet, but plan on hitting up a few of the suggested record stores after I finish work today. Gotta find somewhere good to eat for dinner too since I have a pretty hefty per diem...

I grabbed lunch in ybor today at Bernini's and it was great.

http://berniniofybor.com/

if you are in the area.

the Columbia is supposed to be great (in ybor too)

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

Vinyl fever isnt too far from your hotel. maybe like 15 mins or so.

Sorry i dont have any great tips... i just moved down here like a month ago so i am still learning about the tampa area after being gone for almost 15 years.

I grabbed lunch in ybor today at Bernini's and it was great.

http://berniniofybor.com/

if you are in the area.

the Columbia is supposed to be great (in ybor too)

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

Vinyl fever isnt too far from your hotel. maybe like 15 mins or so.

Sorry i dont have any great tips... i just moved down here like a month ago so i am still learning about the tampa area after being gone for almost 15 years.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually hit up Vinyl Fever, Mojos and Sound Exchange yesterday.

Vinyl Fever was a pretty good store, picked up a few things.

(Chuck Ragan Daytrotter 10"; JEW Futures 7" on clear; Fucked Up Year of the Pig 12"; Appleseed Cast two conversations yellow w/ multi color splatter and hand numbered 109/500; few other things)

The other two stores I wasn't impressed with.

Oh, and I also ate a 40$ steak at Shula's last night...

If you do feel like making the trip over to St Pete, there are some good record stores.

Daddy Kool is by far my favorite. You would be happy with that store. Banana's is coined as one of the biggest record stores in the country, but they don't have much newer stuff. If you're looking for classic records, they are the place to go. Then there's Disc Exchange. The store is vastly unorganized. There are just piles upon piles of records that the guy has yet to sort, but in the back left corner is a decent section of modern punk/alt/metal/indie/etc.

As far as Tampa, you've already hit all our stores that I'm aware of. Maybe hit Lowry Park Zoo or Busch Gardens for fun. Or Channelside. Splitsville is always a good time, you could tour the battleship behind the aquarium, or hit some bars.

For shows: transitionsartgallery.com crowbarlive.com statemedia.com

I disagree with your Daddy Kools statement... that place is really overpriced, even their used shit isnt cheap.

When you have used propagandhi LPs (on black vinyl) for 16 bucks, there is something wrong.

When i was in highschool that place was great, tons of cheap shit and now that it moved across the street it has gotten to be pretty pricey. Their selection is decent but not worth the trip alone. if you go hit up the dali museum or anything else in st pete definitely stop by, but dont drive all the way down there just to go to the store.

• 2 years later...