When will you stop listening to new music?

When Pass The Flask (The Bled) came out I was blown away by it. I just recently checked into Botch and knowing what I know now back then I probably would have written The Bled off as a crappy Botch wanna be band. Now I know why The Bled has sucked so bad since Pass The Flask. It's easy to copy a bands style, but to do something that is good and truely unique is difficult.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What new bands are good? I'm open to suggestions.

Some "new" bands I've discovered this year that have got me excited about new music again: Touche Amore, La Dispute, Balance & Composure.

La Dispute is so fucking good! SO FUCKING GOOD

edit: someone smited me for cursing.

How does this sound: "Fuck you. La Dispute is amazing!"?

When Pass The Flask (The Bled) came out I was blown away by it. I just recently checked into Botch and knowing what I know now back then I probably would have written The Bled off as a crappy Botch wanna be band. Now I know why The Bled has sucked so bad since Pass The Flask. It's easy to copy a bands style, but to do something that is good and truely unique is difficult.

I love Botch and everything they released. I agree with you on your statement too.

Guest errolwest

If listening to new music means I have to listen to Vampire Weekend, Say Anything, or Every Time I Die then fuck it.

i can't believe you grouped the latter two with the first.

i'll listen to anything anyone recommends to me. i'm far too lazy to snatch up everything that pops up on mediafire and whatnot. like minded vc buddies are my greatest source of jams.

i can take a rehashed sound but i can't take shitty lyrics. that's the problem with 99% of music floating around. it's rare to get the whole package; new sound AND innovative, original lyrics? quite rare.

Also also, Errol is a rad dude and not lame at all and I really like that Dangers record as well.

I love you both!

But yeah. I doubt I'll ever stop digging for new music!

I'm at a weird stage in life. I'm 29 and a lot of my friends are starting to "settle down," have kids, whatever. And most of the time, that means they start to drop out of the music thing at least a little. They don't come out to shows as often, and they definitely aren't getting into as much new music as they used to. The few that are still in bands are mostly only playing local shows, mostly on weekends.

I'm not that way. I don't buy as many records or go to as many shows as I used to, but that's almost entirely because of my financial situation. I still listen to tons of music, basically any time of the day I'm allowed. I still read lots of websites and message boards and am constantly checking out new things. I still get excited to see bands I love play live, and I like learning about new stuff. I feel like I'm really picky sometimes, like I'll only really like a handful of bands from a bunch of different genres, but then I talk to people like my roommates who will just slag off entire genres of music and I feel like I'm not picky at all. I probably listen to more different styles of music than I ever have in my entire life, my mind only gets MORE open as the years go on.

So basically what I'm saying is, I realize not everyone is a lifer, but I feel like I'm going to be.

I'm at a weird stage in life. I'm 29 and a lot of my friends are starting to "settle down," have kids, whatever. And most of the time, that means they start to drop out of the music thing at least a little. They don't come out to shows as often, and they definitely aren't getting into as much new music as they used to. The few that are still in bands are mostly only playing local shows, mostly on weekends.

I'm not that way. I don't buy as many records or go to as many shows as I used to, but that's almost entirely because of my financial situation. I still listen to tons of music, basically any time of the day I'm allowed. I still read lots of websites and message boards and am constantly checking out new things. I still get excited to see bands I love play live, and I like learning about new stuff. I feel like I'm really picky sometimes, like I'll only really like a handful of bands from a bunch of different genres, but then I talk to people like my roommates who will just slag off entire genres of music and I feel like I'm not picky at all. I probably listen to more different styles of music than I ever have in my entire life, my mind only gets MORE open as the years go on.

So basically what I'm saying is, I realize not everyone is a lifer, but I feel like I'm going to be.

At 29 your friends are now starting to settle down? Damn, at 22 I've had friends move away, get married, have kids, have more kids, move again. Shit sucks.

But, I know what you're saying about them stepping out of the music scene. I basically have to mail CDs to a close friend to keep him updated with music. Actually, last Christmas I bought him a turntable and a couple Gaslight records, and slowly but surely he's been buying himself a few here and there, but sadly I bet that turntable is rusting.

I am married and have a son so i know what it's like to "settle down". I don't go to shows as much for there aren't any decent shows where I live. The best record store in town is coconuts and trying to find vinyl at my local independent store is like shopping for a car. i have to negotiate and haggle to get get them for a decent price. So sometimes it's the location not the person.

speaking of growing up/settling down, my best friend told me he wants to start shopping at Banana Republic yesterday because he feels "too old" for jeans and tshirts. He is 25. I died a little inside.

If it wasn't for VC I'm afraid I wouldn't know shit about what's going on with music because of that sort of bullshit that's spreading like the plague around my age group.

At 29 your friends are now starting to settle down? Damn, at 22 I've had friends move away, get married, have kids, have more kids, move again. Shit sucks.

But, I know what you're saying about them stepping out of the music scene. I basically have to mail CDs to a close friend to keep him updated with music. Actually, last Christmas I bought him a turntable and a couple Gaslight records, and slowly but surely he's been buying himself a few here and there, but sadly I bet that turntable is rusting.

Well I think if I would have kept in contact with many people I knew when I was 22 I would have the same story, but I got the hell out of the suburbs and surrounded myself with as many fellow artists and musicians as possible around that age.

i am 28. While i havent STOPPED listening to new music, ive definitely stopped getting excited over it as much as before. I think it has more to do with the older i get the more i realize that most music has been done before. So the bands i grew up and skated to when i was 16 im going to be more attached and enjoy. Some new band that comes out now i may have been excited 10 years ago when it was new to me, but now ive heard 100 bands like it. Its not bad, but its nothing that would make me replace my old albums.

There is only so much music you can listen to realistically. I already have a full collection of some awesome stuff i really enjoy, so to add more tunes to it and replace something on the playlist means the band has to be really good.

Which still happens, just not nearly as often. And not like when i was 15 and flipped out because id never heard a band play that technical of riffs before, or never heard a chick screamer before, etc. now a band comes out with amazing technical riffs, and i think, cool they are good, but i already have 20 technical bands i listen to on a regular basis with songs i already know and enjoy. i wouldnt hate it if it was on, i am just not going to go out of my way to add it to my collection and put it in regular rotation.

i am 28. While i havent STOPPED listening to new music, ive definitely stopped getting excited over it as much as before. I think it has more to do with the older i get the more i realize that most music has been done before. So the bands i grew up and skated to when i was 16 im going to be more attached and enjoy. Some new band that comes out now i may have been excited 10 years ago when it was new to me, but now ive heard 100 bands like it. Its not bad, but its nothing that would make me replace my old albums.

There is only so much music you can listen to realistically. I already have a full collection of some awesome stuff i really enjoy, so to add more tunes to it and replace something on the playlist means the band has to be really good.

Which still happens, just not nearly as often. And not like when i was 15 and flipped out because id never heard a band play that technical of riffs before, or never heard a chick screamer before, etc. now a band comes out with amazing technical riffs, and i think, cool they are good, but i already have 20 technical bands i listen to on a regular basis with songs i already know and enjoy. i wouldnt hate it if it was on, i am just not going to go out of my way to add it to my collection and put it in regular rotation.

I know a lot of people our age like that, and while I kind of understand where they're coming from (and feel the same way about a lot of bands sometimes), I can't totally relate. I'll hear a band like the Spits that basically just sounds like the Ramones and I'm just as pumped on them as I was when I discovered the Ramones. Or a band like Autolux that's pretty much just doing MBV + Sonic Youth (+ a little Radiohead these days), and I'm super-excited about them. Not everything has to be new (to me), just done well.

Yep, thats me