so you guys know some stuff about media mail

Guest scottyf

Guest scottyf

can you use it to ship magazines? I know you can send books and other printed materials, but do magazines count too? thanks for answering my stupid question

technically, no because magazines contain advertisements.

yeah, weird:

"Media Mail® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books. The maximum weight for Media Mail is 70 lbs."

i never knew about that stipulation and have definitely used media mail in the past for magazines. i know this is totally hypothetical because i don't THINK the USPS would nitpick to this degree, but could they potentially give grief if you stuck in fliers, business cards, or even the inserts that come with records outlining the rest of a label's catalog in with a CD or LP?

i dont enforce the rules, im just passing along what ive learned.

if you stick a bunch of magazines in a box and try to send it media mail and the clerk at the counter asks whats in it -- dont say magazines (but know full well that the USPS can inspect a media mail package to check its contents).

i dont think they care about flyers, etc. but who knows.

there is a flat rate priority box that is just slightly bigger than a magazine and something like 6 - 8 inches tall. suffice to say you can fit a whole lot of magazines in there.

I've only had a post office ask once, but that was when I lived in the suburbs. A guy refused to send a record media because he said it wasn't media mail. I went home and printed out the "Media Mail® service is a cost efficient..." and gave that and the record back to him and told him to send it media mail. Now that I live in the city that just tell me whatever is cheapest.

it'll work. thy only way they can tell it's not media mail is if the postmaster for the office opens and inspects the package which they never do. Just make sure you have the right address when you ship it because media mail doesn't include a return mailing service and you'll have to pay to get your package back