vinyl to mp3

I'm all for ripping vinyl, however, I have to agree with a few points from others. If you're using cheap/stock a/d converters and turntables, you're not going to get a copy that sounds as good as a WELL RIPPED mp3 from a CD. Something ripped using EAC on secure mode and the LAME encoder. And if you don't like mp3's below 320, try to find FLAC files and rip them yourself to 320.

Now for those of you who don't like the idea of ripping vinyl on even decent systems because they are from the same 16/44 masters or whatever... Yes, a lot of times this is true. But there are some instances where it isn't the case anymore. A lot of times, the CD you buy in the store is overcompressed to be loud as hell. When you take this to put it onto vinyl, it will make the needle jump out of the groove. Mastering engineers need to use a different master a lot of the times. When they don't, they need to do EQ'ing of some sort to bring down the levels and make it work for vinyl. So the mastering is often different, and if even a non compressed 16/44 is used, it will sound substantially better than an overcompressed store bought CD. And if you have original pressings made before CD masters being used or overcompression, you have even more of a reason to rip your records. They will probably sound better than new store bought CD's.

But, you need the equipment to make your vinyl rips sound good... If you're buying brand new entry level hi-fi gear, you're looking at about $2k including an audio interface or sound card worth a damn. So unless you're already into hi-fi and have a decent system, you might wanna stick with they lower kbs mp3's...

But there is something kind of fulfilling about having your own vinyl collection on your ipod too...

For those who have a hard time understanding why things exist.

1. Don't like 162~256 kb mp3s.

2. Don't want to buy cds just to make mp3s.

And I think what people seem to be missing is the fact that you don't want to pirate a high-quality rip. Am I correct?

As for your question of how to set the volume... I think people typically go from their preamp to line-in, bypassing the amp and not setting any volume. That's how I do it at least.