Your opinion on test pressings?

Guest markovianprocess

These are the notable test presses from my collection:

Attack In Black - Marriage

Bangers / Dirty Tactics - All In Vinyl Singles Series #4 Split 7''

Bomb The Music Industry! - Goodbye Cool World!

Get Bent - Demo

Good Luck - Into Lake Griffy

House Boat - Processing Complaints

Rumspringer - EP

The Steinways - Art Of The Underground Single Series Volume 27 7''

I buy them to support the bands and the labels that I love, and also because I view them as being an important piece of a band's history. I can only imagine the excitement that labels and bands experience when they get these first copies of what will become their album or 7''.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think they're kinda cool, considering they're usually the first records pressed on a set of plates and could qualify as "hot stamper" candidates ;) and normally plain black vinyl, different labels, and either come with no or limited artwork designs.

i've gotten a few randomly, which i always appreciate. i haven't ever bought one, i'm not diehard enough to purchase. i won the These Arms Are Snakes "Tail Swallower And Dove" test from Suicide Squeeze, which was cool as i've collected TAAS records for years. (where the fuck is the Minus The Bear split?!). i won a Beloved "Failure On" test from Broken Circles! awesome album and one of the few albums i've bought from Brent. and it had a simple test press jacket design which differed from the actual album art. i also got a copy of the Sister Kisser/Ink And Lead split 12" test from Gruff Beard because of just a delay in shipment, and it features some Ohio Pride work. Dan from Cavity hooked me up with a test pressing of the Rosetta/Restorations split 12" too, he's an awesome dude. all very cool records, mostly for sentimental value.

also, my secret santa just gave me tests for the This Is My Fist/The Marked Men split 7" and the Arms Aloft "Comfort At Any Cost" 7"!

i think they're kinda cool, considering they're usually the first records pressed on a set of plates and could qualify as "hot stamper" candidates ;) and normally plain black vinyl, different labels, and either come with no or limited artwork designs.

can't really speak for people at other plants, but tests don't really tend to have the very best sound. a record press makes the best sounding records once it's had time to cycle in and get a rhythm down. usually for a test pressing the machine only runs 20-25 cycles.

inspired by the picture disc thread...

i've never really been a fan...most are black vinyl with blank labels and no artwork...i could never justify buying one in my head...opinions?

love them and since you have a BossToneS avatar I will tell you I almost paid 200+ for a copy of Devil's Night Out test press.

yeah, still regretting that I backed out last second.

I love test presses. One of my favorites is a copy of The Dogmatics - Everybody Does It I found in a bin of nonsense at a unsuspecting record store.

i like the ones i have of records i helped to press, but i guess that's a pretty unique perspective. it'd be a fun thing to get for free, but the practice of making them with the intent to sell them just seems way too steeped in crass commerce to hold any real special meaning to make me want to seek them out on ebay or whatever.

can't really speak for people at other plants, but tests don't really tend to have the very best sound. a record press makes the best sounding records once it's had time to cycle in and get a rhythm down. usually for a test pressing the machine only runs 20-25 cycles.

oh, I was totally kidding about the hot stamper crap. I think that whole idea is exaggerated.