Your Family's Holiday Traditions!

I'd eat all 150 pierogis. I fucking love pierogis.

to this day i've never had pierogis. and i've lived on the east coast. I've had scrapple, but never pierogies. i think i may need to eat some at some point. marty, maybe when your parents come to town?

well mike, unfortunately, pierogi making is about a day or two to get to the final product. I am gonna either try to bring them home w/ me, or have my mom pack some in dry ice and send them back when i'm up in Tennessee.

to this day i've never had pierogis. and i've lived on the east coast. I've had scrapple, but never pierogies. i think i may need to eat some at some point. marty, maybe when your parents come to town?

Mike, not only will I mail you some candy cigs, but some goddamn pierogies as well! JK, just the cigs and possibly condoms.

condoms. i don't use condoms. because i don't have sex. they'd expire before i could use them. haha.

Not a holiday tradition, but a winter tradition.

For whatever reason I am terrible at remembering to wear a coat outside, always have. There's a certain day every Winter, sometimes it doesn't come til January but it happened last week, where I step outside and it is so bitterly cold that it genuinely reminds that I should have grabbed my coat, but it's too late and I have to suffer the bitter chill.

It also reminds me of when I was 18-years old and homeless. It wasn't for that long only a couple months, but they were the most unforgivingly cold months of the year. Most nights I would sleep on an uncomfortable bench in a 24-hour laundromat. Even though it was indoors it was still just as cold inside as out because the door was always propped open and I couldn't shut it or my hiding place/bed would be discovered. I would wash myself in the bathroom the best I could.

I eventually found work as a busboy in a restaurant. At the end of the night I would get tipped out, usually around $10. I remember walking to the local bowling alley with that $10 in my pocket feeling like a billionaire. Ordering two chicken patty sandwiches, was like a feast. But what I wanted more than anything in the world was a warm bed for the night.

I'm not saying that what I went through was some awful tragedy because it wasn't and it was only for a few months but it changed my life forever. It's been some 10 years since but I think about it all the time and especially in the winter. That warm bed. I have it now and it feels just as good as it did in my dreams. I told myself to never forget how badly I wanted it and to always remember what it's like to not have it. I always think about the people that don't and it makes my head hurt. It's a problem that's so huge and wanting to do something about it is like wanting to scoop all the sand off a beach with a fork.

When I moved out of the state and in with some family it was great, but years later they had all moved out and left me in the broken down trailer they owned. They basically abandoned it and said I could just pay the bills for it until their lot rent is due and then I'd have to leave. When it rained water poured into the living room in buckets. Eventually the mold in the room got so bad I had to abandon it. In the winter it got so cold that when I left a bottle of olive oil out on the kitchen counter, it froze. I had a space heater set up in my room that kept it nice and toasty but it was just awful. Imagine walking into your house from the bitter cold, but when you got inside you were still in the bitter cold.

When I showered, it was a race against time. I only had about 5 minutes of hot water or water that was tolerable. So I had to wash as quickly as possible. It was also like a game of Operation, because the walls of the shower had so much mold and mildew on them I had to be careful not to touch the sides.

So anyway, hot showers and warm beds. For the love of science don't take them for granted.

i don't care which winter holiday you celebrate, tell me about your traditions!

we always decorate the house and put up the tree the weekend after thanksgiving, so it gets to stay up as long as possible.

i've always opened presents on the morning of christmas eve (until recently when i've had to work then, then just opened them whenever i got home from work). that stems from when i was a little kid and we went 2 hours away to my babka's house (no, not the food. she was literally from poland and it also means 'old woman' in polish. she had a warped sense of humor.) and had a traditional polish christmas eve dinner and went to midnight mass. we didn't have time to open them at home on christmas morning since we slept over at my grandparents and had christmas there the next day.

we still have pierogies on christmas eve, though now they're mrs. t's instead of homemade ones.

Sorry to join the party late, but, Alison, I too am polish-and after my grandma died my mom and dad kept the pierogi making tradition going every christmas. They made like 150 this year. Homemade pierogis are sooooo. freaking. good.

my great grandma would literally cut the dough out using a glass because back in poland that's all they had to use. no one in my family makes them homemade anymore because they can't get them to taste as good as she could and i think they're a little discouraged/embarassed, haha. but seriously, the ones we used to have on christmas eve....holy wow amazingly good.

A SAD STORY

Jesus, man...that's crazy! You're out of that rut, right?

It's good to have that period in your life as a reminder so you never get too ahead of yourself and appreciate your life and what/who surrounds it, but I'm sorry you had to have that happen.

I hope everything's going well for you!

Also, you need to get some PIEROGIES. (ERROL, THEY'RE PIEROGIES).

Jesus, man...that's crazy! You're out of that rut, right?

It's good to have that period in your life as a reminder so you never get too ahead of yourself and appreciate your life and what/who surrounds it, but I'm sorry you had to have that happen.

I hope everything's going well for you!

Also, you need to get some PIEROGIES. (ERROL, THEY'RE PIEROGIES).

Thanks, I'm good now.

I have an apartment, well heated, warm bed and all that. I live with my best friend and love of my life. I have a job that takes care of us so she doesn't have to work full-time while getting her masters. We have a cat. I have my records, and hopefully for Christmas I'll have a new record player to replace the busted one.

Oh and since I was homeless I've won roughly 70k in poker tournaments (that's just winnings, not overall profit).

Genuinely appreciate your well-wishes, hope is well for you too.