computer/ router help!

goraiders

So I have a desktop with a built in wireless card and I almost always have full bars on it. From about midnight to 7 a.m. the internet works great. The rest of the time, it takes like 30 seconds to load a page. My friends laptop works fine all the time.

Is this likely something with the wireless that would change if I get the ethernet cable? I'd check, but its all the way across the apt and would take a lot of wiring effort. Could it be a virus?

I just don't understand why, if my router has the capacity to work well, it doesn't most of the time.

... this is too complicated a question to google, i tried.

thanks!

Well the key here is that his friend's wireless connection is fine. I agree with Kirby, try the ethernet first. If that ends up working fine then go into your wireless adapter setting in Windows and see if anything stands out. If it happens at exactly 7am every day, there might be something scheduled to run on your machine around then.

Well the key here is that his friend's wireless connection is fine. I agree with Kirby, try the ethernet first. If that ends up working fine then go into your wireless adapter setting in Windows and see if anything stands out. If it happens at exactly 7am every day, there might be something scheduled to run on your machine around then.

second that.

check at 7am in your task manager if there is a big job, like virus-scan running (or a complete backup)

checking the settings on your card is always a cool move.

how many people are sharing this connection? ask your provider!!

i would make sure you're using a wpa2 wireless encryption, wep can be cracked easily in a few minutes with aircrack and a good wireless card. if you bust out the ethernet cable you'll definitely get better speeds, i'd say its worth it since you have a desktop and it's not going anywhere. if you don't have antivirus/spyware i would get avg and threatfire, they're both free and easy to find. i dont think that would really affect your speeds but who knows. do you torrent? are there other people in your house on the wireless, that will lag it down too.