PLEX: Media Center (Mac Only) Need Suggestions!

troymess

Hello everyone,

I've fallen in love with PLEX. It's a media center software application like XMBC or Boxee, but I feel it's much more incredible. I'm a Mac user so it fits my tastes perfectly.

My question it:

I would like to buy a stand alone computer just for my media that will hook up to my tv. The only option I can think of would be a Mini Mac...any other advice or suggestions besides a Mini Mac? I just need something that would be good with a OS X. I would also an need HDMI out on the machine.

A Mac-Mini is your cheapest option if you want to run PLEX. However, you can just buy a cheap ION based nettop and run XBMC.

PLEX is a fork of XBMC and for the most part they're the same thing.

This is exactly what I did. I bought a Zotac Mag for $250, put XBMC Live on it, sat back and lived the good life.

Here is my blog post on my setup:

http://kirbypuckett.tumblr.com/post/902842296/xbmc

A Mac-Mini is your cheapest option if you want to run PLEX. However, you can just buy a cheap ION based nettop and run XBMC.

PLEX is a fork of XBMC and for the most part they're the same thing.

This is exactly what I did. I bought a Zotac Mag for $250, put XBMC Live on it, sat back and lived the good life.

Here is my blog post on my setup:

http://kirbypuckett.tumblr.com/post/902842296/xbmc

Thanks for the link dude. Your setup is fantastic and I'm leaning towards doing the same but as you can tell, I'm really at a crossroads. I do prefer PLEX over XMBC but only because I heard connecting to network hard drives is easier. Don't know how true that claim is because I haven't tried it myself yet.

OR

Plex is beginning to be incorporated into LG tvs and blu ray players. you might want to wait it out and see how those perform.

This does sound like a great option however, I already own an LG HDTV and a Vizio HDTV and a Samsung Blu-ray. I have an HDTV in the living room and in the bed room. If the LGs incorporate Plex well enough, I may sell the blu-ray I have now and try the LG blu-ray with Plex.

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys. It's helping me figure out where to put my $$$