Does anyone know? (record mastering question)

What etching Aardvark puts in the dead wax?

Is it AAR?

Just wondering, someone I know got crappy test pressings and sent me one and the master was etched AAR. I'm pretty sure it's aardvark, it sounds like an aardvark cut.

There was a good amount of distortion toward the inner grooves. The master is under 15 minutes per side at 33, so that should not have been a problem I don't think, and they didn't want it cut really loud or anything.

Anyway, just trying to figure out, and scold them also for not getting refs!

Thanks

I've got a couple questions about record mastering if you guys wouldn't mind chiming in.

I'm in a band and we're about to record a bunch of songs for future releases. One of them will be a 12" full length and I was wondering how long each side should be, ideally, at 33 rpm? I've heard that it should be about 18 minutes max per side, but that it can vary from place to place. What are your experiences/recommendations?

After that we're thinking about doing a split with another band. It'll be too long for a 7" and we are thinking of going the 10" route. However, the side lengths vary a bit. One of the bands is planning on doing about 13 minutes, and the other is doing less than 10. This means that the 10 minute side could be pressed at 45 rpm, so would it be worth the risk to do the other side at that speed too? Should it just be a 33?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.

aardvark etches whatever you'd like them to.

I know that, that's true with anyone. Most places automatically etch their initials, or the mastering companies initials in the dead wax though. You can usually find out who pressed, or at least cut certain records by looking at the letters/numbers in the dead wax.

Anyway, no biggie, I was just wondering about AAR.

I've got a couple questions about record mastering if you guys wouldn't mind chiming in.

I'm in a band and we're about to record a bunch of songs for future releases. One of them will be a 12" full length and I was wondering how long each side should be, ideally, at 33 rpm? I've heard that it should be about 18 minutes max per side, but that it can vary from place to place. What are your experiences/recommendations?

After that we're thinking about doing a split with another band. It'll be too long for a 7" and we are thinking of going the 10" route. However, the side lengths vary a bit. One of the bands is planning on doing about 13 minutes, and the other is doing less than 10. This means that the 10 minute side could be pressed at 45 rpm, so would it be worth the risk to do the other side at that speed too? Should it just be a 33?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.

I have had LP's cut up to 25 mins a side (by Abbey Road in the UK), and they still sound great. The shorter the side, the more space between the grooves, the better sound you can get. I know most mastering/lacquer makers suggest 20 mins MAX.

As for the split, go with a 12" I reckon. A 10" record can be hard to move sometimes, and it'll cost you about the same to do a 12" most places, sometimes cheaper to do 12" You can cut it louder and make the art look fucking sick because it'll be 12" instead of 7"...