New Laptop Appreesh

mclz

My school gave me a new MacBook Pro for free last year. It's got custom engraving with my school's logo and a red Apple logo instead of the standard white. I love it.
What school do you go to? Yeesh you should "break" that one (mail it to me) and get another free one. I just started back in to my CIT degree and my circa 2007-MacBook Pro isn't quite cutting it anymore for some of this stuff.

My school gave me a new MacBook Pro for free last year. It's got custom engraving with my school's logo and a red Apple logo instead of the standard white. I love it.
What school do you go to? Yeesh you should "break" that one (mail it to me) and get another free one.

I suppose I should clarify, hah. They don't issue students with laptops on a regular basis, but rather they have some sort of hidden criteria that determines who receives them. It's like a scholarship of sorts, but not monetary. It's a partner program with Apple, that I think they expanded this year to also include iPads and iPod Touchs.

I'm an accounting major, and haven't had stellar grades, so I honestly have no idea what sort of academic criteria I met. I wasn't going to question it, hah!

I suppose I should clarify, hah. They don't issue students with laptops on a regular basis, but rather they have some sort of hidden criteria that determines who receives them. It's like a scholarship of sorts, but not monetary. It's a partner program with Apple, that I think they expanded this year to also include iPads and iPod Touchs.

I'm an accounting major, and haven't had stellar grades, so I honestly have no idea what sort of academic criteria I met. I wasn't going to question it, hah!

Very nice. Sounds similar to the "Apple Scholars" program they used to have for high school students. I need to find out if my school has such a partnership/get them into such a partnership so I can upgrade.

Really like the macbook air, but not sure if it will handle all the CS5 work I do.
My circa-2007 MacBook Pro (Core Duo+2G RAM) runs CS5 more than adequately.

What do you do that requires more than the stock MacBook Air (Core 2 Duo+2G RAM)?

I have the same macbook pro currently and had to do some upgrades. I do lots of work in indesign, with very large files, and large reference files.

The Core 2 Duo is a major upgrade from the Core Duo processor. I believe that the new MacBook Air supports up to 8G RAM. I highly doubt that you'd have any problems, even with the stock 2G setup. Also, with everything running from a flash-based hard drive, it's going to be lots smoother and faster.

But worst case scenario, you could swap it out for a current-gen MacBook Pro if it did give you any heartache. I think Apple has some kind of thing where you can do that, yeah? Swap out a new Mac that's not working for you for another of equal or greater value and pay the difference?