Cleaning album covers

small amounts of rubbing alcohol on a qtip is good for removing schmutz. it evaporates quickly and you can keep the other end of the tip dry for post clean up clean up.

just remember, not too much and try to be quick. damaging the sleeve is possible with this method depending on what it's printed on and how it's printed.

i wouldn't try it over silk screen, or on paper sleeves. but if its a nice glossy cover you shouldn't hurt it.

Use a damp sponge on glossy covers, not too wet. Lighter fluid (naphtha) gets sticker glue and other tacky substances off nicely. And magic marker will come off using dry erase marker - just trace over the magic marker with the dry erase marker and then erase. It lifts the magic marker off with it. May not get 100% but it will be a vast improvement, trust me. I've been crate digging for years and, sadly, I know all this stuff works.

Be aware, if it's a textured cover like Neil Young's Harvest, your screwed. Anything you put on it will be immediatlely absorbed into the paper, or worse, you can accidentally remove some paper or permanently discolor it.

Yes, I'm a nerd.

yeah textured covers are beautiful but they suck with things like price tags.

the back of my Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels... 7" has sticker residue that will always be there because of stupid record stores that don't trust their customers enough to put their price tags on the dust sleeve.