Waffles.fm ???

I got booted from what.cd for not logging on often enough.

Either way, fuck these fucking torrent nazis and their horseshit. I think it's fucked up that they try to assign some sort of backwards-ass morality and sense of "fairness" to sharing files of things they didn't create, pay for, or support in any tangible way in the first place. But hey, whatever makes them feel like big men sitting behind their keyboards.

I log on my what account once a year. How did you get booted for not logging in? I don't believe that, honestly.

And you're entirely missing the point with the second part. That's just straight up stupid.

It isn't at all to make it fair. It's to make sure that the torrents that are uploaded don't die, so that they can be sustained and not have to be remade every 3-4 weeks. Keeping files available when the purpose of the site is to make files available is not hypocritical.

Other sites do it to try to foster a community, try to make people care about the site because they need to put work into it in order to stay a part of it. This leads to becoming more active users, which will likely mean more files uploaded, which, again, is the purpose of the site. How are either of those hypocritical?

Because the purpose of the site is to freely exchange things that other people worked to create without compensating them in a tangible fashion. And to complain about other people "leeching" from the "work" that they put into creating and maintaining their system and their torrents makes them big fat flaming fucking hypocrites. Sure, there are other reasons. But I think it's naive to think that isn't a large portion of it.

If we want to get philosophical for just a moment, people in the whole "punk/metal/indie/DIY/alternativecounterculturebullshitwhatever movement" are always quick to point out other people being sellouts, and quick to denounce anything that even resembles someone making music into a "product," and often like to talk at length about how music is "art," which somehow gives it this special validation while simultaneously divorcing it from the constraints of being a commodity. But the thing is...what could make music any more meaningless than turning months of hard creative and physical work by people pouring their heart and soul into it into an audio file to be freely traded and filed properly on the hard drives of thousands of people, the majority of whom have nothing to do with it, have not supported it in any tangible fashion, and for whom it'll only leave an 80 megabyte hole in their lives if it wasn't there?

How is that any better than anything being mass produced and churned out by the millions? Because nobody paid for it?

Let's be clear on something. I'm not telling anybody not to download music. But I see enough people romanticizing the idea or feeling entitled to it or defending it with religious zeal and I think it's fffffffucking dumb. And hypocritical. And intellectually dishonest. I, personally, am freely willing to admit that I've stolen some music. I also refrain from doing so in a lot of cases. I have a friend with well over 100 gigabytes worth of shit. And I guarantee that a lot of it is just "hoarded." How can someone acquire thousands of albums worth of music in just a couple of years and really absorb and appreciate it in the way great music deserves?

I've done a lot of rambling here, because I've got a bad head cold and I'm sort of tired. I'm usually a lot more coherent, but I think I might have made a point somewhere in there.

also,

from [email protected]

Hi xxxxxxxx,

It has been almost 4 months since you used your account at http://what.cd. This is an automated email to inform you that your account will be disabled in 10 days if you do not sign in.

...and sure enough, when I tried to sign in, I got a really snarky message from them. Again, I wasn't that worried about it at the time, and I'm still not. Believe what you want, but it seems silly that you would read that and then have your doubts without asking yourself, "why would this person lie about something like that?"

You're still not making any sort of point.

If the mehtod of distribution requires people to seed, it requires people to seed. Period. It's not a morality thing to try to keep your torrents up and running, it's a convenience thing. It isn't defending or romanticizing it, it's wanting to keep the files in distribution. It's no different than trying to find a permanent host to upload something to when your preferred method of downloading is not torrenting. For the record, I rarely torrent.

And honestly, if you want to get into it, I'm of the opinion that as soon as CD ripping became easy to do and as soon as mp3 players meant CDs were one use throwaways, that made any form of digital media meaningless.

And if you'd stop getting defensive about why I doubted you on the What.cd account thing, you'd stop looking like such an asshole. I didn't use my what account for over a year at one point and I was one of the first 2.5k users. I didn't believe you because I had not used my account in so long, but it still works. They don't do stuff like that unless it's done to everyone in most cases, so I didn't think they did that. It's not a "why would they lie about that" it's "I don't think they do that." You're taking everything anyone is saying in this thread a little personally.

Oh I am not. You've missed my point about downloading in general, and now you're calling names. I appreciate intelligent, rational conversation and candor, which I do occasionally find on the internet and this board, believe it or not. You've confused my thoughts on this subject for defensiveness. You're laughably out of line. Anybody who is even just a little bit familiar with my history posting here can see that.

Actually, what I mean to say is, "suk my dik u faget ur mom is a whore."

People romanticize downloading in general. The entire conceit of private torrent trackers is to protect the integrity of what are usually ill-gotten gains. If people want to talk about music as an art form, which is supposed to have some sort of value, doesn't turning into a commodity to be traded endlessly with little thought cheapen it?

3 points I've made about intellectual dishonesty, hypocrisy, and music as a downloadable commidty. Though I've rambled a bit, I think they were solidly made, without a hint of defensiveness or namecalling.

U faget.

What.cd is great for all the rare/out of print/commercially unavailable shit you can't find legitimately. Complete studio sessions, tour-only CDRs, rips of original pressings of classic albums, massive limited-edition box sets, J-pop albums that would cost $50 to import, preorder exclusives from 10 years ago, etc. That's what I like so much about it. It's easily my favorite website ever.

What.cd is great for all the rare/out of print/commercially unavailable shit you can't find legitimately. Complete studio sessions, tour-only CDRs, rips of original pressings of classic albums, massive limited-edition box sets, J-pop albums that would cost $50 to import, preorder exclusives from 10 years ago, etc. That's what I like so much about it. It's easily my favorite website ever.

That's basically what I used it for; that and the occasional album that I owned on vinyl but didn't have a download code. Not that any of those things are really legitimate, but still, at least I can admit it's thievin'.

Either way, I don't have access to it anymore, and yet...I'm still alive...AND I still enjoy music. Go figure.

I still don't think that trying to create a system that needs as little upkeep as possible is not intellectually dishonest. On top of that, I'm not of the opinion that listening to or appreciating music has anything to do with the method of acquiring it. It's stealing, of course, and I know of few people who argue that point, I know I don't. But what you're saying is the concept of a private tracker is "protecting the integrity of ill-gotten gains," when the point is to create a system where torrents don't have to be reuploaded constantly, meaning as little upkeep is needed. Go on Demonoid and there will be dozens of inactive torrents for a particular album, and probably five or six active ones. What.cd sets it up so that the only times there are "duplicates" are when they're in different formats or qualities.

There isn't any elitism, romanticizing or hypocritical. It's setting something up where if someone is making the system not work, they'r removed from it. The only part about it that's objectionable is the part where the thing being uploaded is music, the means they use to keep their files distributed is not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...