Good starting record player

Definitely go the cheap route at first. Don't invest a lot of money on something that you're just getting into. It will allow you to figure out what you like and your preferences.

Imo, $200-ish is pretty cheap to begin with for a turntable.

Personally I have a pair of technics 1200's from my dj'ing days that I paid about $400 each in 2001 and I keep a third as a spare that I got second-hand for somewhere around $250. If you are only planning to use a turntable for playback -- you don't really NEED a direct drive turntable, but those 1200's are built like tanks and will last a lifetime.

Stanton and Vestax lower level models are worth checking out.. you should be able to find them on ebay under $200.

Found this link regarding USB tt's -- looks very helpful and in-depth:

http://www.knowzy.com/Computers/Audio/Digitize_Your_LPs/USB_Record_Player_Turntable_Comparison.htm

^^^

I got my first turntable at 18 from a garage sale. Then I bought a cheap Sony belt-driven for $60 in 2006. It served me well. Now that I'm 31, have been into this for more than 12 years, and ready to shell out some money for quality, I know the route to go.

I wouldn't have started collecting records if I thought I had to spend $150-200 to listen to music on vinyl.

^^^

I got my first turntable at 18 from a garage sale. Then I bought a cheap Sony belt-driven for $60 in 2006. It served me well. Now that I'm 31, have been into this for more than 12 years, and ready to shell out some money for quality, I know the route to go.

I wouldn't have started collecting records if I thought I had to spend $150-200 to listen to music on vinyl.

all good points.. I guess when I was 20 I knew I wanted to DJ, but I happened to have a friend who was my roommate that already had a pair of decks. It wasn't until he moved out a year later that I sprung for the technics myself. Of course it was very wise to do that while I had to amass pocket change to buy food.

In context though, a new ipod is what these days, $200? $250? I think they were more when they first came out.. and people didnt seem to mind shelling out that kind of dough just to listen to some shitty 128K mp3's on the go.

I understand working with a budget trust me but if you really want something, figure out a way to save for it so you don't have to keep upgrading. Shit, I washed cars for $3/hr when I was 14 so I could buy myself a super Nintendo!