EIAFUAWN - Birds in the ground LP out now! (ex-Duster)

As it has been for awhile. But it's still a great record.

Here's what Aquarius Records had to say about it:

Even though this band is from San Jose, we had to go all the way to Sweden to discover them, not literally of course, but Swedish label Pillowscars were kind enough to turn us on to these guys (this guy actually), and their warm blissy home brewed 4-track dreampop.

Guitars are strummed, harmonics chime, cymbals sizzle, the sound is surprisingly lush, but then again, this record had been in the works on and off for years, amazing what you can do with a 4-track given enough time, the vocals are weary and laid back, plaintive and emotional, gently wrapped up in the swaying jangle and loping tempo, the bass buzzes and growls, the melodies are lilting, pretty, dreamy, total bliss pop for sure, think Animal Collective, Neutral Milk Hotel, Sparklehorse, you know what we're talking about.

The weirdest part is that the man behind Eiafuawn, was a member of legendary hardcore/screamo titans Mohinder! Who knew?

Incredible packaging, thick 180 gram vinyl, and some super striking, gorgeous weird cover art by Brendan Monroe!

Listen here: https://pillowscars.bandcamp.com/album/birds-in-the-ground

Front cover:

[image]

Back:

[image]

This is limited to just 520 copies. You can get a copy stateside from Stickfigure: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2296999?ev=rb 

Thanks for listening, let me know if you have any questions!

www.pillowscars.com

Edited by pillowscars

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I love this album so much. Clay gave me a free copy a few months ago when I ordered the Parton Kooper record because he took a bit to ship my stuff out. I can't complain about that.

That's very nice to hear! That PKP album is great. The Breasts CD too, I highly recommend you pick it up. It's the same band. Only $4 from Stickfigure!: http://www.amazon.com/Breasts/dp/B001Q6X5UE/ref=aag_m_pw_dp/178-4127654-9968202?ie=UTF8&m=ASAYYHY9NCFHE

They also have the first Helvetia CD which is amazing. Jason used to be in Duster (Up Records) with Clay. Their new record is out on Joyful Noise.

Here is the link for the EIAFUAWN LP, it's a bit pricey. I'll try to get more copies to the states, most other places sold out of theirs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008MQGMEM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I have a few copies of that Breasts CD from purchases from Static Cult over the years. Fantastic album. I'm also a fan of Helvetia. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm a huge Duster fan.

• 7 months later...

9/10 according to Clinton (Norman Records) on Wed 22 Jan, 2014.

"The joy….the utter joy of this job is picking up a record not having the faintest clue of what it might be then from the moment the needle hits the record just knowing that this was made especially for you.

The harder bit is then trying to express that feeling in words so that other people can take advantage of these little moments of serendipity. The first thing you hear are gorgeously thick, chunky guitars recorded with the needle way into the red. They start picking out the most unusual of melodies and are joined by a drummer who has obviously been told to simply play random fills and not to worry about such standard things as a back beat. If I could pin them to a city I’d say Chicago (though they are actually from San Jose). In come some vocals, slightly emo, slightly Modest Mouse/Dismemberment Plan, the track disintegrates back into itself and to its acoustics which by now sound crestfallen. The track is called ‘Bunny’ - it's tremendous.

The next one - ‘No More Like That’ - catches light with the same beautifully double/triple track acoustics. The vocals this time are more melancholic, like those of Elliot Smith or those in such interesting bands as America's Very Secretary. But ‘Birds’ is where I exploded. Its full of wintery beauty, led by a fantastically chewy guitar part. Drums pound away whilst mysterious vocals wander in and out of the mix. This is fantastically inventive indie rock. Although the band reference such 90s wanderers as Bedhead, early Sebadoh and The Sea and Cake they add in an impressive sweep of early Elliott Smith pathos and the kind of blissful sonic experimentalism that the likes of Animal Collective have used to move the whole scene forward.

Imagine those early Smith albums played by Chicago’s finest musicians of the era and recorded by Albini and you get somewhere close. Closer ‘Modulator Hustle’ is a tremendous, circular piece of plucked acoustic / drum machine joy. Then, wilful vocals come in and it just gets better. It's fantastically recorded throughout. Very few albums sound this great - and according to the press release they did it all on 4 track. It also states that the main man behind this was in the screamo/post hardcore Mohinder. Truly a mystery but this really is a great record and is deserving of a lorry load of attention."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
42 minutes ago, FeebleFawn said:

God that's such good news, where did you find that out? If that box turns up I'll happily buy a copy off you! Cheers, thanks for the reply.

https://www.discogs.com/master/442914-Eiafuawn-Birds-In-The-Ground
Most recent comment on the bottom.

And Clay told a friend recently that it will be a while but is still in the works.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, pillowscars said:

This LP just had a ten year anniversary so I thought any newcomers might be interested in a bump of this thread!

We're all getting older!

1 hour ago, Bronchitis said:

https://www.discogs.com/master/442914-Eiafuawn-Birds-In-The-Ground
Most recent comment on the bottom.

And Clay told a friend recently that it will be a while but is still in the works.

Oh sweet, thanks for letting me know. I'm just glad it's being given the chance.