PO: Megadeth - TH1RT3EN

Guest fatnate

Guest fatnate

Everybody has their own musical tastes. You don't like Megadeth. I don't like Modest Mouse, mewithoutyou, Minus the Bear, Sigur Ros, etc...

Thought there may be at least one other board member that's into Megadeth. If so cool. If not, oh well, I was just trying to contribute.

And man, I don't get the VC hate of Kickstarter. What did it ever do to you?

I'm also not into pre-orders for "limited" double LPs coming in at $30 before shipping. As far as Kickstarter goes, I believe if you want to press your album you should "do it yourself" without the half-assed Internet fundraising. A million great bands have thrived on the DIY ethos and I don't think that should change just because the Internet makes it easy to find people ready to throw money around.

Kickstarter does make good sense as an investment. I guess that's my beef with the whole thing. If you're looking to make sound investments, maybe rock and roll isn't for you. It's a pervasive attitude nowadays that I fucking hate. If you don't have much money you can put together black 7" records with xeroxed covers for pretty cheap. Yeah, you may lose your "investment." Shit, you can stream music for free and get some interest generated that way. People feel entitled to shit nowadays, and that's just what I get from Kickstarter: "I can't afford this and I don't want to work for it, so please give it to me." Yeah, I'm old. I know it.

I agree with what monsterrod has said in regards to kickstarter. If you want to put something out, put it out. If your music is good then people will buy it, if not oh well. If you can't handle "losing" your money doing what you love, then maybe you should'nt be putting out records at all.

• 1 month later...
Kickstarter does make good sense as an investment. I guess that's my beef with the whole thing. If you're looking to make sound investments, maybe rock and roll isn't for you. It's a pervasive attitude nowadays that I fucking hate. If you don't have much money you can put together black 7" records with xeroxed covers for pretty cheap. Yeah, you may lose your "investment." Shit, you can stream music for free and get some interest generated that way. People feel entitled to shit nowadays, and that's just what I get from Kickstarter: "I can't afford this and I don't want to work for it, so please give it to me." Yeah, I'm old. I know it.

Agreed.

You don't get Kickstarter and that's fine. I'm not going to explain it to you.

lol