Any medical docs here? Need advice.

Was on my elliptical about a week ago. Felt something pop in my ankle on the front side. I didn't land awkwardly or anything, it just happened out of nowhere.

I figured it was just a strain, but it isn't getting any better. If I just stand straight up and walk normally, I don't feel anything. If I twist my ankle, take stairs, etc.. it hurts pretty bad.

What did I injure? How long should I wait before I see a doc? I'm not a baby when it comes to injuries, but am worried that it feels worse each day, not better.

I twisted my ankle pretty bad this summer and I waited it out. After a month I went to the doctor and I ended up having a slight fracture. They said it would have healed faster had I gone in sooner and started treatment earlier. You should definitely get it checked out right away. It didn't hurt for me to walk, but stairs and lateral movements hurt which sounds very similar to you.

one of the times i broke my arm, i could move it fine until i rotated it. then it felt like i was dying.

but yeah, better safe than sorry. i've broken my foot and severely sprained my ankle and still have problems with both despite swift medical attention, because there wasn't much they could do for either of them other than get me in a boot and on crutches.