VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Two other guys will be there who know about the whole situation, they're actually debating going as well because they don't want to hear him bitch and complain about it all night either.

I think I might just skip watching it live. The only match I really want to see is Punk/Jericho and I'm not dropping $70 for one match.

What if you and those two other dudes got together separately and bought it? That's only $20 or so a person. Or, worst-case scenario, all three of you go to the dude's house, and then if he starts throwing a fit about hockey, all three of you can tell him to knock it off (and I'm sure other dudes on your team will back you guys up at that point, too, since it wouldn't just be you complaining).

Tickets came in the mail Friday. Going to take my 11 year old son to his first live wrestling event, and it will be Wrestlemania.

Oh yeah.........He has no idea we are going.

thats amazing. how long has he been watching?

the masked man summed up my thoughts perfectly in his new grantland piece.

Despite the monotony of the buildup, however, I'm sure WrestleMania will be good. I mean, it won't be a four-hour monologue — it can't possibly be, right? When Rock and Cena or Punk and Jericho or Triple H and the Undertaker are going at it in the ring, we probably won't even remember all the conversation that went into the buildup. We'll just be thinking, Now this is wrestling. Regardless of what they want to call it.

My WrestleMania situation:

Every year one of my softball teams gets together to watch Wrestlemania, it's usually a good time. This year it's at this one guys house though. This guy is also in a fantasy hockey pool I run. For the past two years (since he joined the pool) he's been nothing but a pain in the ass. He constantly sends me e-mails with "suggestions" on how I could make the league "better". Most them make absolutely no sense and are far outside of what you can actually do using a website to run your fantasy league (cbs). On top of that if he loses a match-up he questions the scoring and and how there must be something wrong or I changed something. Neither of which are ever true. Up until a couple weeks ago I've just sort of ignored it, but there's only so much one person can take.

The other week he sent me an e-mail saying there was a problem with the scoring because he lost his game and he should have won and he should have been in first instead of second. Of course there was nothing wrong with the score and he was two games out of first so there was no chance he was actually in first. I explained everything to him and he full out said no I was wrong (on the league message board for everyone to read). I reassured him that I was right and he backed off. The worst part of this is he's an alcoholic so I get 99% of these e-mails when he's drunk and he'll send me e-mails and texts until I finally respond.

So now I'm in a situation that if I go watch Wrestlemania at this dudes house I'll have to badgered about our hockey league (which he's being kicked out of after the season is over) all night. Thus making it next to impossible for me to enjoy the card. Meanwhile those are the only friends I have that watch wrestling. So it's either that or buy the PPV on my own which sucks because it's close to $70 after taxes and that's a lot for a PPV which I feel will be mediocre at best.

Anyways. Just felt like sharing my story.

F5 him through a table and enjoy the matches with the rest of your buddies. Also, eat his food while he is out.

Tickets came in the mail Friday. Going to take my 11 year old son to his first live wrestling event, and it will be Wrestlemania.

Oh yeah.........He has no idea we are going.

thats amazing. how long has he been watching?

About a year. I had no idea he would be interested, then one day he gets in a fight with his sister, gets knocked down, jumps up and yells "I'm John Cena!" before pouncing on her.

We DVR Raw and Smackdown and watch them together the next day after school.

this raw is absolutely terrible.

agreed. I was hoping for alberto del rio to be the last member of team johnny, and now christian is out?

I read an interview with Del Rio the other day in which he was originally supposed to be a member but then he had a set back so now he's out for a bit longer. He's hoping to be back by the next PPV.

Raw was about what i expected it to be. The first match was good, but i knew most of the episode wouldn't be heavy on the wrestling. Anyone see the Smackdown spoilers? They taped it last night along with Raw. Now that show looks absolutely awful.

And, even though i've been negative on the builds for Wrestlemania, even though i am annoyed by the Rock, even though the Undertaker's promos have been painful to watch, i know the matches will deliver. i just have a feeling we are going to see something really special in the HIAC and Rock/Cena matches. i believe Y2J/Punk will have a fantastic wrestling match and that Bryan/Sheamus will be a nice mix of stiff hits and grappling and that one of the two will be the match of the night. So, even though the build up has been lackluster, i am still really pumped for Wrestlemania and will probably order it because i am a big skinny moron.

Nothing like having a match billed as End of an Era and then not have anyone in the match involved in the last show before Maina, but we did get a sweet video package made to Metallica.

Seriously this year seems like such a slap in the face to the fans. They have done little effort in setting up any match and building on it, but still know everyone is going to watch. They care more about taking over youtube for a day than to catering to the fans that have been there all year long and not the ones that care for one day.

Below is the official card for WM28. What is everyone thinking for the outcomes?

1 The Rock vs. John Cena

2 Triple H vs. The Undertaker Hell in a Cell match with special guest referee Shawn Michaels[28]

3 CM Punk © vs. Chris Jericho Singles match for the WWE Championship[26]

4 Daniel Bryan © vs. Sheamus Singles match for the World Heavyweight Championship[29]

5 Cody Rhodes © vs. Big Show Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship[30]

6 Randy Orton vs. Kane

7 Team Teddy (Santino Marella (captain), R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, Zack Ryder, The Great Khali and Booker T) (with Hornswoggle) vs. Team Johnny (David Otunga (captain), Mark Henry, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, The Miz and Drew McIntyre) (with Vickie Guerrero)

8 Maria Menounos & Kelly Kelly vs. Beth Phoenix & Eve Torres

MY PICKS:

1-Cena via 5 moves of DOOM

2-No contest. Undertaker gives HHH the Last Ride through the cell, causing the entire structure to collapse and end the match. None of the three men are seen again.

3-CM Punk, via blasting Y2J in the head with his Earth Crisis vinyl collection.

4-Sheamus after he rips out D. Bry's beard and throws AJ at him.

5-Cody Rhodes via the "311 Threatened to Sue so I Can't Call it Beautiful " Disaster Kick

6-Randy Orton via RKO "from out of nowhere!"

7-Team Johnny after Drew McIntyre hits everyone with the Future Shock and justifies his place on the card.

8-Maria Menounos & Kelly Kelly via roll-up

1) Cena ... originally I thought The Rock would win but that would pretty much make the WWEs #1 guy look like a chump

2) I honestly don't care I hope the cell collapses and taker/triple h/michaels all die in the process. okay die is a little harsh. all have injuries which ensure they'll never be in a match ever again.

3) Punk

4) Sheamus (sadly)

5) Cody ... putting the title on Show doesn't make any sense

6) Orton

7) Team Johnny

8) The hot girl from extra

had a dream last night.

wrestlemania opened with triple h v. randy orton in his first of three matches on the card. halfway through the match dibiasi and rhodes come out to help triple h, and the 3 of them are just bashing orton around. eventually taker's music hits, and he comes out in straight zombie mode.. even tears some flesh off his face. so he shows up to rough up triple h a bit before their match. and then, in the middle of all that, triple h's OTHER opponent on the card decides to come out also... andre the giant.

most of this business is taking place up on the ramp and whatnot, but by the time it hits the ring, dudes start flying in the ring from out of no where. kind of like what happened with team teddy rushing the ring on monday. except here weve got kofi, truth, ricky steamboat, double j (omg jeff jarrett at wm would be worth the $65 alone) and a few other shmucks high flying around the ring with no sense of order whatsoever.

add a video package to each end of it, and i would say that give or take a couple dead names, it was pretty a pretty accurate compacting of a 4 hour show.

1 John Cena (agree, five moves of doom...five times)

2 Undertaker (shawn will screw over hhh setting up a storyline between them?)

3 Chris Jericho (as much as i enjoy punk, i think this would make the storyline better)

4 Daniel Bryan (this is just hoping. I can't stand sheamus)

5 Cody Rhodes (cody has been carrying this feud and deserves the win)

6 Randy Orton (is randy still the top face on smack down?)

7 Team Johnny (johnny is so much more entertaining, even though he fucks up every one of his lines)

8 Maria Menounos & Kelly Kelly (duh)

im really worried that im not going to get to watch tomorrow. all but maybe one or two of the friends that i watch wrestling with are away tomorrow. and the remaining two are flaky enough to be concerned about. FUCK.

the last 2 days ive been watching WM X-Seven. despite a wretched title and nonstop limp bizkit, it might be one of the best PPV'

im really worried that im not going to get to watch tomorrow. all but maybe one or two of the friends that i watch wrestling with are away tomorrow. and the remaining two are flaky enough to be concerned about. FUCK.

the last 2 nights, ive been watching wrestlemania x-seven.

even with the worst possible title and WAY too much limp bizkit, it still might be the best PPV in the companys history.

sure theres a lot of hardcore/streetfight/no dq going on*... but from start to finish, the lineup is probably the absolute pinnacle of the attitude era.

-jericho v. regal for ic title

-tazz & APA v. the right to censor

-kane v. big show v. raven for hardcore title

-test v. eddie guerrero for the euro title... with loads of 4 horsemen interference

-kurt angle v. chris benoit in an incredible display of holds and counter holds

-chyna v. ivory squash match, where chyna shows what its like when a dominant contender in the womens division actually knows how to wrestle

-shane-o mac v. vince, mick foley guest ref street fight. features all 4 mchmahons, trish, and all the shenanigans you can imagine with such a crowd.

-dudleys v. hardys v. edge/christian TLC II. ho.ly.shit.**

-a 2 minute gimmick battle royal

-the first round of taker v. hhh. (motorhead, more limp bizkit, and a lot of great spots that we can only dream to see tomorrow, because 11 years makes a huge difference when youre dropping each other back-first on to concrete)

-the rock v. stone cold for the wwf championship. the rock v. stone cold in their primes... when week after week raw actually featured them beating the hell out of each other... when their music hit, and regardless of heel or face, and everyone in the crowd went bananas.

*at the time, in 2001, all the hardcore anything goes rules were balls-out awesome. i was 14 at the time, jackass was just coming out, and this shit was all we wanted to see- chairs being cracked over peoples heads, bloody messes, and people being pushed to their absolute limits. but when 45 minutes to an hour of your program involve people throwing open hand punches while you meander the crowd, and just hitting your opponent over the head with whichever object is closest to you, things get kind of boring. once these guys leave the ring area, any hope for a semblance of "wrestling" is totally lost.

** its depressing how good the tag team division once was compared to the pathetic excuse we have now. guys had matching attire, double team moves (signature moves, like spiked powerbombs and body presses.. using your partners back to launch a kick into your opponent... exciting, tangible, team-centric move sets!), catch phrases (d-voonnnn!!!!! WHAT?!? get the tables!!!!) and a purpose for working together. how hard is this to reinvent?!

last thing i want to mention... what happened to the suplex? what was once a staple for wrestling matches is a rarity now. even your standard hook-the-arm-over-the-head,flip-onto-their-back,by-the-book suplex has been tossed aside, not even to mention the millions of possible variations that you see in a single tazz match. one of my biggest gripes with the current state of wrestling is how stale every single wrestler's move set is. why arent we seeing more of the common core moves, such as suplexes and their variations on a regular basis??

well, i'm going to say this wrestlemania was disappointing.

- The rock/cena was filled with rest moves and overall pretty boring.

- taker/hhh was good (probably the best of the night), but not as good as last year's match.

- The punk/jericho match was filled with awesome spots (the hurricanrana into the walls was awesome) but the stipulation was stupid.

- I'm glad team johnny won even though that match was a mess to look at.

- The bryan/sheamus match pissed me off. Sheamus must have kissed a lot of ass to have things go his way. I can't believe we didn't get a match yet there was a brodus clay skit.