Favorite Comics?

favorite writers:

alan moore- my all-time favorite writer. one of the only writers that can deliver across the genre spectrum. favorite title- swamp thing

warren ellis- see above. favorite title- transmetropolitan

scott snyder- this dude has been making nonstop hits since he came on the scene. incredible writer, one of the few who can pull off long dialogue without putting me to sleep. his DC titles are perfect thus far.

jeff lemire- favorite current writer. sweet tooth is the prime rib of the comic world right now. if you havent checked it out, do so immediately. he has such a captivating art style. oh yeah....he writes the script too. this guy is amazing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kriss - I love the Indies. I just finished Any Empire and recommend it to you based on your tastes if you haven't read it yet. Chris Ware is brilliant and Clowes rarely missteps. When I was in Grad School Clowes and Zwigoff gave a speech and afterwards they were standing around and I asked if they wanted to go have some beers and without hesitation they were like "yes". It was a cool night. (I also stole Joe Sacco's whiskey with a friend one evening after being bored to death - that made the night a lot better). The University of Florida used to bring in a lot of artists to speak and I met some of the greats and have always found comic folks to be totally down to earth. I still talk of my two-minutes with Will Eisner like others would speak of shaking hands with the President.

That's so rad! I love Joe Sacco's stuff a good bit as well, if you like him, you should check out Ben Snakepit's comics - each day in his life is laid out in a three panel strip. Really rad.

I love Clowes' work but one nit pick I've always had with him is his snobbery about one genre versus the other i.e. those who enjoy indie comics have a higher accumulation of intellect than those who read mainstream superhero comics. Sorta leaves dudes like me who enjoy both fields in the lurch since I'm obviously reading and enjoying his work while being insulted and treated like a philistine due to my enjoyment of other things in the process.

I also agree about Lemire, he's amazing. Other comics I'm really into are The Walking Dead (I just finished reading everything, and I hate that I have to wait now), Li'l Depressed Boy is also one of my favorites from Image Comics, it featured Andrew Jackson Jihad recently so that's almost enough reason alone.

I'm more of a Marvel fan, so I don't read that much DC, although I've tried every one of the new 52, but my favorites are Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Batwoman.

Marvel comics I really enjoy now are: Their Ultimate Comics line, Moon Knight, Incredible Hulk, Avenging Spider-Man, Wolverine & The X-Men (really good!) and Uncanny X-Men.

where is the cheapest place to buy comics online? trying to find some vack issues that my local store doesnt have. where do you guys buy floppies online?

are you looking for newer stuff from 2010 onward or stuff from before. Milehighcomics on eBay tends to have stuff mad cheap (like, 2/3's of the stock being a buck a back issue cheap). I filled in most of my 70's/80's Spider Woman run through these guys along with a bunch of other Bronze and Modern age runs and they have flat shipping so it's a few bucks whether you buy one comic or a hundred. :)

edit: and just how things always go, it seems the store isn't up anymore. I got out of buying back issues a year and a half ago and they had thousands of back issues up and looked like they weren't going anywhere since they'd been online for a decade and brick and mortar for 30 years.

There are probably other sites/online stores similar - will do some digging.