What are some good turntables/speakers?

jkim4007

My total budget for the entire system (turntable + speakers + pre-amp if necessary) is 600$ (ideally it would be around 500$ so I have spare cash for new records) and I can't go over. I mostly listen to pop-punk and early 00's emo (Lagwagon, Bouncing Souls, Yellowcard, Get Up Kids, Saves the Day, etc.) and a few bands along the lines of Touche Amore, La Dispute, etc. (you get what I mean) and I live in an apartment without soundproof walls so the sound can't be too loud.

Turntables that I've been recommended to buy are:

Denon DP-300F, Vestax BP-2600, a Rega RP1, Music Hall MMF, and various ProJect models. but I have no idea which one of these would be best for me/budget-wise if I'd need to buy separate cartridges or pre-amps for them.

I'm going to get it tonight, so any help/recommendations on both turntables and speakers/info would be greatly appreciated!

*Disclaimer - I know next to nothing, but I'll throw in my .02 from what I've learned since I'm also looking to buy a turntable with about the same budget. There is a sticky thread that has some good info as well:

http://vinylcollective.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=53959

For a bit over $200, the audio-technica lp120 has a built in pre-amp, so if you wanted to stay well under your budget you'd only have to buy some powered speakers. There are powered speakers that I've seen rated very high, like the Audioengine A2's, which are around $200 as well.

I think that if you want to not have to buy a separate pre-amp you might be looking at some of the USB models - this is all assuming you do buy new. I've also read that the Music Hall and Project entry level models use many of the same parts? Just ask questions and spin some vinyl on all of them to see what differences you can hear.

Good luck!

*Disclaimer - I know next to nothing, but I'll throw in my .02 from what I've learned since I'm also looking to buy a turntable with about the same budget. There is a sticky thread that has some good info as well:

http://vinylcollective.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=53959

For a bit over $200, the audio-technica lp120 has a built in pre-amp, so if you wanted to stay well under your budget you'd only have to buy some powered speakers. There are powered speakers that I've seen rated very high, like the Audioengine A2's, which are around $200 as well.

I think that if you want to not have to buy a separate pre-amp you might be looking at some of the USB models - this is all assuming you do buy new. I've also read that the Music Hall and Project entry level models use many of the same parts? Just ask questions and spin some vinyl on all of them to see what differences you can hear.

Good luck!

thanks dude, that link helped a ton!