To those of you with web experience...

So I'm thinking of secretly starting a website for my roommate, but before putting it online i'd like to get it all set up and ready to throw it out to the web to show him, so if he likes it i can put it up or change a few things. he's a tattoo artist and doesn't have a site up so figured i'd surprise him.

Now the big thing is i've never actually done a website other than a flash site for cd purposes only. what is the easiest program to use for it if i was to apply myself to learn to do so? flash isn't something i want to use again except for maybe a portfolio gallery.

help...

Guest markovianprocess

Tumblr has a huge number of users if he is looking for followers/more customers, and the layouts are really easy to customise (if you wanted to find one similar enough to what you're looking for and make some changes). It'd make a lot of sense business wise to have the website on there.

If you have no experience I think VIRB is a better solution. The themes are decent and it is smaller, and thus simpler, than Wordpress.

Carbonmade will also get you a simple portfolio site up and running in no time, the downside is that it doesn't look totally unique.

That said, Wordpress certainly will get it done and is still a good option. I juts find it isn't the most intuitive to set up yourself without HTML / CSS knowledge.

You don't need any knowledge to use wordpress unless you want to customize it. Wordpress has awesome photo gallery ability.

http://mantisstate.com/photography/

If you wanted to code the website yourself from scratch, you honestly just need notepad and a hosting server and domain. You'd have to pay though, unless you built the site locally, and you'd need to learn html and css at the very least. it's easy, but can be quite time consuming.

is dreamweaver pretty easy?

If you're going to use it for drag and drop, it's pretty terrible. If you're going to use it to write HTML line by line ... it's decent.

If you're looking to create a nice looking site and get it up with the least amount of hassle give Squarespace a try. You can do all the drag/drop, manipulate on screen, WYSIWYG interface, and it's also pretty rebust behind the scenes as well if you eventually want to write your own code.

They'll host everything for you, so you don't have to worry about that either.

If you're not looking to pay for hosting or a domain, then give Tumblr or Wordpress a shot.

It's free to give it a shot, and they won't even ask for a credit card until you're ready to commit.

Dreamweaver is awful. It inserts so much useless code.

pretty much this. buddy of mine back several years ago (who builds sites for living told me its the easiest way to build it, then have someone with knowledge go back in and take out the senseless code to make it more manageable. I can read code somewhat, but i'm gonna look into everything people have mentioned. If i can make a site on flash in a weekend, i'm sure i can figure this shit out. sorta.