I don't even know what to say....

just read through most of this and tbh I knew a good bit of people bought 2 copies of records (one to keep, one to sell) but I never knew people bought records without the intention of listening to them, but just to flip them... sorta pisses me off

they do it all the time sadly. for those people, music is less about the music and more about the commodity. there have been countless times where folks have come up empty handed and not gotten a copy at all because some flipper wants to play amateur record store guy and buys it first before turning around to sell it back to the person who wanted it in the first place for a huge mark up. it sucks the joy out of record buying and consumption to a large degree.

I know what you mean about the huge mark ups... I've wanted to own Mmhmm by Relient K for a long time but it sells for no less than $50 - $60 sometimes even $100 most of the time and it seems to go on eBay (or anywhere else for that matter) right after I spend all my money. God, if I would've known about that album back in '04 I would've got it in a heartbeat, but I didn't really get into them until late '06-early '07. Maybe it'll get repressed for it's 10th Anniversary or something...... Ah, but I digress

a record being out of print for years is different than something like the your favorite weapon repress which is already going for over $50 because people ate up all the blues and clears for the sake of flipping them.