I think Apple is scamming me.

nicole

everyone already knows you weren't expecting a free fix, but your naivety regarding the situation and flying accusations about being ripped off, though you never paid a dime for the fix in the first place is what perturbed people. Not to mention the fact that you don't understand how things work and have no patience is what gets under people's skin.

though i do admit that if you plan to get something fixed, then you should receive said broken items back if you are paying out of pocket. you should have spoken to a manager regarding this issue and in a polite manner, i'm sure you could get it done. Then again, see the explanation for hank murphy. Or maybe the genius just gave you the usual rhetoric that goes along with trading out parts and just assumed they would not give you your broken parts back. most things are never in stone at apple. people always make exceptions. i've had people go in and get stuff fixed past warranty. so there is never a "THEY DON"T DO THIS, ITS A SCAM". But from the tone of your writing and how you perceive things, it's telling most people that you have no patience for anything and have a very solipsistic attitude towards things around you. i just chalk it up to your age.

That is some condescending shit. I'm amazed with some of the posts in this thread.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone already knows you weren't expecting a free fix, but your naivety regarding the situation and flying accusations about being ripped off, though you never paid a dime for the fix in the first place is what perturbed people. Not to mention the fact that you don't understand how things work and have no patience is what gets under people's skin.

though i do admit that if you plan to get something fixed, then you should receive said broken items back if you are paying out of pocket. you should have spoken to a manager regarding this issue and in a polite manner, i'm sure you could get it done. Then again, see the explanation for hank murphy. Or maybe the genius just gave you the usual rhetoric that goes along with trading out parts and just assumed they would not give you your broken parts back. most things are never in stone at apple. people always make exceptions. i've had people go in and get stuff fixed past warranty. so there is never a "THEY DON"T DO THIS, ITS A SCAM". But from the tone of your writing and how you perceive things, it's telling most people that you have no patience for anything and have a very solipsistic attitude towards things around you. i just chalk it up to your age.

That is some condescending shit. I'm amazed with some of the posts in this thread.

i try.

seriously, i try not too but sometimes it's just inevitable when speaking to children. see there, i did it again. ugh.. :P

I've only had one run-in at an Apple store, and it was a good one.

I cracked the screen on my iPhone (totally my fault) and was going to mail it in for repair. Someone on the board suggested I wait and take it to an apple store. My wife and I were in Toronto (it was the closest one at the time) and I decided to go and try. Went to the Easton's centre and the store was PACKED.

Dude at the front asked if I made an appointment and I said no. I explained we were in Toronto for the night for our 1st wedding anni (which was true) and that we were from out of town. He put us on some of will-call list, and within 5 minutes a genius came out. He took my my, explained they couldn't repair it, theyd do a straight swap for free. 5 mins later, I had a new (probably refurbished) phone

The ammount of illiterate people in this thread amazes me. She never claimed she wanted them to replace the product free of charge. She went in assuming it wasnt covered under warranty, and it wasnt. She was willing to pay for it to be fixed. She is pissed that they are selling her much more than she needs, and wont give her back the original piece that she is paying them to be taken out.

If I go to a PC store and ask them to install a new 1 terrabyte hard drive in my desktop, they would return the old drive that they took out. If I go and buy new tires and have them installed on my car, they are returned to me unless I tell them to take them and pay the fee to have them recyled. Why Apple thinks they can keep her merchandise for a warranty claim someone else down the road will claim is wrong.

It's a subsidized cost.

They discount the replacement part to keep your old one to use that as a refurbished item or for parts.

Very smart for Apple to do this, since most people probably just junk the items. This way it gets some use and the user saves a few bucks. Not ideal for everyone, but that's their system.