Interval and Circuit Training

kriss

Hey VC folks who are exercise buffs, gotta few questions.

Over the last six weeks or so, I've been doing some strength training a few times a week - I've found that the best results I'm getting in terms of feeling my body worked fully come in doing circuit training where I do a x3 pattern of 50 jumping jacks/50 squats/20 push ups/20 burpees/20 leg lifts/20 crunches/20 dips - I've been doing this three to four times a week and typically doing all of these takes me roughly half an hour or so. I'm wanting to step up my game to burn more fat and tone muscle by doing stuff all 7 days of the week but I know that if I do this every single day, my body will plateau and I won't see results - any suggestions (HipsterAsFolk, you got any ideas?) on what I can do on the days where I'm not sticking to this routine?

At present, I'm running off of a 1,600 calorie/175 carb/70 grams of fat eating system each day (with the exception of a stray day every several weeks where I get tons of pizza or something like that, again though, days like these are very rare exceptions), not sure if those stats are needed before suggestions.

Thanks!

Looked into P90X - space constraints don't allow for much in the way of a weight lifting bench and the companion racks of weights that come with them. I'm not necessarily looking to get 'ripped', more so I'm looking to just tone down the fat. While I can get through several sets of push ups now without being miserable like when I first started, I've got a ways to go obviously. :)

I've been doing p90x2 lately and from what you're describing that would probably be a great fit for you. You don't need heavy weights, everything is about total body, balance, and core so using light weight is better.

To cut down on fat you want to lift as it raises your metabolism even when you're resting, but lifting light weights at high reps will get you toned and slim you down. Heavy weights will add size. Light weights at high reps and interval cardio routines would be the way to go. You could try for a hybrid workout of p90x or p90x2 and either insanity or insanity: the asylum.

Combine that shit and eat well and the weight will drop off quicker than you think!

All you need for P90X is a pair of dumbbells (or two, if you need diff weights) and a chin up bar. Or neither of those and an exercise band instead. You need very little room as well. It's what I do when I can't go running. I don't do every single disc but I have my favorites. A lot of the programs revolve heavily around the things you're already doing. I think it could be a logical next step for you based on what you're currently doing. Just a suggestion.

I bought a cheap chin up bar ($15?) on Amazon that has brackets that screw into the door jam and the bar is removeable. Works perfect. It's not by the TV but I prefer to learn the exercise and pause the DVD when I do those rather than buy something more expensive that takes up space. If interested, I can look up the exact one that I have for you.

And it seems like everyone has dumbbells that they don't use. I'd ask around before buying those. I think I ended up with three sets when I asked before I started the program.

Yeah dude, if you had a moment, otherwise I could do a quick search. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I was looking at a set of weights on CL for $125 that has 250 lbs of weights as well as dumbbells, bars and a rack to put all of the weights on. While it seems like a good deal, I'm sorta worried I may never use it all if all I need is a chin up bar and some dumbbells.

Edit: That picture's space looks to be about twice the size of the open area of my living room, so I think I should be fine. :)

Yeah dude, if you had a moment, otherwise I could do a quick search. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I was looking at a set of weights on CL for $125 that has 250 lbs of weights as well as dumbbells, bars and a rack to put all of the weights on. While it seems like a good deal, I'm sorta worried I may never use it all if all I need is a chin up bar and some dumbbells.

Edit: That picture's space looks to be about twice the size of the open area of my living room, so I think I should be fine. :)

Here's the bar. I was wrong, it cost me $24 at the time and it's even pricier now. Holds up awesome, though. No fear of it busting whatsoever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZF56W/ref=oh_o02_s01_i00_details

Dumbbells can add up if you buy them all separately. The adjustable weight ones are pretty cheap, though.

I think those would be fine. You may have to adjust the weight between exercises but you can always pause the disc and you might have time without pausing it. Or you might be comfortable using the same weight throughout. I do the chest and arms disc the most, which I believe uses dumbbells more than any other program. I don't think the guys on the dvd use anything more than 25 lbs max. So that set would work, I don't think you'd "outgrow" it. Like the other guy said, you don't higher weight anyways, you want slightly lower weights with higher reps.

(Side note: don't buy those online, looks like they want $30 shipping)

Iron Gym works great for pullups.

I have a high end bowflex and I love it. Resistance training has a different feel than weight lifting. Sounds like this wouldn't be an option for you because of space, though.

P90x and other systems would probably work fine. If you go with your own routine, you have to let your body recover. Don't do the same exercise everyday.

I do a 4 day cycle: one day is curls or pullups, triceps, and some shoulders, next day is situps and reverse situps (hanging from the iron gym and lifting your legs), next day is pushups or bench and some more shoulders and dips, then the last day is all legs (squats, calfs, hammy). I have an elliptical I use a couple times a week too but I have bad joints so I just get it in when I can. I'm not ripped but I'm 6 foot, 210 and in above average shape.

Take at least a protein shake (I take one after working out and one before I go to sleep) and read up on things like nitric oxide, creatine, glutamine, NO-xplode to see if they are for you. I use NO-xplode (a mixture of nitric oxide, creatine, caffeine, and some other stuff).

Just put in an order for these: http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-40-Pounds-Cement-Dumbbell/dp/B004YZD1C6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Seems like a good price point for a cheaper set of dumbbells to start out with and they allow for expansion of weight if I want to go above 20lbs per bar. I'll probably upgrade to a 100lb+ long dummbell a few months down the line once I get toned a bit more and wanna bulk up a bit.

Thanks for the advice dudes!

I have a high end bowflex and I love it. Resistance training has a different feel than weight lifting. Sounds like this wouldn't be an option for you because of space, though.

P90x and other systems would probably work fine. If you go with your own routine, you have to let your body recover. Don't do the same exercise everyday.

I do a 4 day cycle: one day is curls or pullups, triceps, and some shoulders, next day is situps and reverse situps (hanging from the iron gym and lifting your legs), next day is pushups or bench and some more shoulders and dips, then the last day is all legs (squats, calfs, hammy). I have an elliptical I use a couple times a week too but I have bad joints so I just get it in when I can. I'm not ripped but I'm 6 foot, 210 and in above average shape.

Take at least a protein shake (I take one after working out and one before I go to sleep) and read up on things like nitric oxide, creatine, glutamine, NO-xplode to see if they are for you. I use NO-xplode (a mixture of nitric oxide, creatine, caffeine, and some other stuff).

Unfortunately, it's a bit out of my budget at the moment to commit to a monthly gym. I'm looking around to see if I can find a vegan formula for protein shakes as well - any recommendations on that front would be appreciated!

At the moment, I'm 5'10 and 227 lbs (was at nearly 250 back at the end of November). I'd like to get down to an even 200 by the end of April with a final weigh in hovering around 190 by the end of May/beginning of Summer which I plan to keep consistent with 1,900 calories/210 carbs/75 grams of fat a day (though this is obviously subject to change and not set in stone numbers depending on how what my body requires once I hit my maintenance weight).

I've gotten to the point now where I'll do random sets of dips and push ups throughout my day (aside from in the morning, I'll do a set of each in the late afternoon, maybe another set of each in the late evening and a final set of each an hour or so before bed - since doing sets of 20 for each takes all of about 5 minutes, why not right?) and I'm finding that I'm not out of breath as much as I used to be when doing simple things like taking long flights of stairs, sprinting a block, etc.

Unfortunately, it's a bit out of my budget at the moment to commit to a monthly gym. I'm looking around to see if I can find a vegan formula for protein shakes as well - any recommendations on that front would be appreciated!

At the moment, I'm 5'10 and 227 lbs (was at nearly 250 back at the end of November). I'd like to get down to an even 200 by the end of April with a final weigh in hovering around 190 by the end of May/beginning of Summer which I plan to keep consistent with 1,900 calories/210 carbs/75 grams of fat a day (though this is obviously subject to change and not set in stone numbers depending on how what my body requires once I hit my maintenance weight).

I've gotten to the point now where I'll do random sets of dips and push ups throughout my day (aside from in the morning, I'll do a set of each in the late afternoon, maybe another set of each in the late evening and a final set of each an hour or so before bed - since doing sets of 20 for each takes all of about 5 minutes, why not right?) and I'm finding that I'm not out of breath as much as I used to be when doing simple things like taking long flights of stairs, sprinting a block, etc.

Yes, starting with more cardio and working in more weight lifting is a good plan for someone who wants to slim down first. At the same time, though, muscle burns fat. Working out like a weight lifter (isolating muscles, doing shorter and heavier reps, then letting your body recover) combined with cardio will slim you down quicker than just a 100% cardio/light lifting routine.

Sounds like you are dedicated and know what you are doing, so you will get it done. There's lots of paths that produce the same results as long as you work hard.

And your local department store will sell soy protein. Usually you should take the protein shake after your work out, but most people take whey protein (which is made from milk). It is the easiest protein for you body to break down and use. Soy protein might take a little longer for your body to break down (research this if you really want to. I'm not positive) so you might want to take it before or during the workout. Not sure.